The paranormal: Yay, Okay or are-you-kidding-me?-No-way!

By: artmom
April 4th, 2015
11:48 pm

The paranormal: Yay, Okay or are-you-kidding-me?-No-way!

I'm on another forum specific to the paranormal. I already have my set views on this. I've been researching and exploring the paranormal most of my life. I've had some experiences all throughout my life, so has my daughter. I taught her and talked to her about it all her life, too. I would rather her be able to know she can come to me and talk to me whenever she needs to without worrying about not being believed or laughed at or being treated like she's crazy.

Anyways, I'm just opening up this debate and seeing what y'all think about exposing kids to the paranormal outside Halloween?

Yay, okay or absolutely not?

Join the Discussion!

23 comments on "The paranormal: Yay, Okay or are-you-kidding-me?-No-way!"

  • cybele
    April 5, 2015 at 4:14 am

    Well, I don't believe in it personally, so neither? I'm not opposed to telling kids that it's something some people/you believe in if it's what you do, same way I don't oppose parents sharing their religious/spiritual beliefs with their own children, it falls into the same realm to me.

  • random417
    April 18, 2015 at 3:02 pm

    I'm hardly going to be your target responder here, but...

    As a practicing occultist, i do want to be open and honest about what i do with both my kids. I do however, want to help my kids keep a firm grasp pin reality. In practice, what i do ends up so far to be i don't hideanything, but i don't invite my kids into circle with me, just because they're still a bit young

  • artmom
    April 18, 2015 at 4:16 pm

    Originally Posted by random417
    I'm hardly going to be your target responder here, but...

    As a practicing occultist, i do want to be open and honest about what i do with both my kids. I do however, want to help my kids keep a firm grasp pin reality. In practice, what i do ends up so far to be i don't hideanything, but i don't invite my kids into circle with me, just because they're still a bit young
    Just as well. I tried to teach my daughter some pagan songs and she just found it annoying. She just wouldn't have it. I just stopped trying to formally teach her my beliefs and let her be herself and then just be there when she does have questions. My mom wasn't a very religious person, she has her beliefs, but she raised me more spiritually and even that was on a casual occasion. This other forum I was on, the question came up as to how to include kids in spiritual practices and rites, and many others were going through the same thing and they also just gave up urging it on their kids. I think it's better for kids, because then they can form their own beliefs and do their own research on religions and spirituality.
    I think it's actually better for them to learn, than to practice without really understanding what they are doing.

  • TabascoNatalie
    April 19, 2015 at 5:07 am

    I do believe that paranormal world exists.
    However, as a Christian, i think occult practices are very wrong. Stuff like ouija boards, etc. It is not a joke. You don't know what you're toying with.

  • artmom
    April 19, 2015 at 6:40 am

    Originally Posted by TabascoNatalie
    Stuff like ouija boards, etc. It is not a joke. You don't know what you're toying with.
    Agreed. I dabbled with a homemade Ouiji board with my best friend and I will never do that again. Some of what we experienced no one believes.
    My daughter fully understands the risks involved with the board and won't even touch it. Not even play it at a friends house in case something follows her home.

  • random417
    April 19, 2015 at 7:12 pm

    Originally Posted by artmom
    Just as well. I tried to teach my daughter some pagan songs and she just found it annoying. She just wouldn't have it. I just stopped trying to formally teach her my beliefs and let her be herself and then just be there when she does have questions. My mom wasn't a very religious person, she has her beliefs, but she raised me more spiritually and even that was on a casual occasion. This other forum I was on, the question came up as to how to include kids in spiritual practices and rites, and many others were going through the same thing and they also just gave up urging it on their kids. I think it's better for kids, because then they can form their own beliefs and do their own research on religions and spirituality.
    I think it's actually better for them to learn, than to practice without really understanding what they are doing.
    My ex, who i share my 5 year old with, is more involved with him, and he's kind of taken to her path. It's not exactly mine, but he's pretty happy with it.

  • cybele
    April 20, 2015 at 2:14 am

    We have a Ouija board somewhere... somewhere being the keyword, as it is with most things I recall having. I swear there is some hidden cupboard in this house that I have forgotten all about.

    My oldest daughter used to have it out and just about every sleepover, which always resulted in my husband bickering with the girls over which celebrities are dead and which ones aren't, and my oldest son sneaking into the room and trying to creep them out by hiding under the bed and making noises, or blowing on them or throwing stuff at the window or whatever.

    Come to think of it, I am pretty sure I hid that thing.

    We're Pagan, but we're nature-worshipping, we don't believe in a deity or any paranormal forces, so it was nothing but a game in our house.

  • TabascoNatalie
    April 20, 2015 at 2:25 am

    Paganism is very different from occultism. In fact, a lot of Christian traditions stem from Pagan culture, especially in Northern Europe.

    I have a book in Lithuanian -- a collection of folk tales and myths about paranormal stuff. Most fascinating creatures i find is a kite and a kikimore. A kikimore makes mess in the house, rattles dishes and spooks little children. A kite is usually a forgotten household item that brings you money.

  • cybele
    April 20, 2015 at 2:29 am

    Yeah, but they mesh a lot in modern practice.

  • artmom
    April 20, 2015 at 4:44 am

    Originally Posted by TabascoNatalie
    Paganism is very different from occultism. In fact, a lot of Christian traditions stem from Pagan culture, especially in Northern Europe.

    I have a book in Lithuanian -- a collection of folk tales and myths about paranormal stuff. Most fascinating creatures i find is a kite and a kikimore. A kikimore makes mess in the house, rattles dishes and spooks little children. A kite is usually a forgotten household item that brings you money.
    Paganism, heathen and occult can mean different things to different people. I find it more of a blanket title. Unless you have studied and practiced specifically in a specified religion or spiritual belief, I find people who are spiritualists or naturalists or both, and who dabble in something or other that can be tied to certain belief don't tend to label themselves. Or they are hesitant to because of societal taboos. At least that is how I feel about myself. I pretty much think there is some truth to every religion out there and that every religion is based on the same thing. A balance or fight against good and evil, and that a God and/or Goddess created and rules the world and we are their children.
    It is hard to ignore, that no matter how different a religion is, there have been accounts all over the world where someone has claimed they have had contact with the spirit form, have seen unusual objects in the sky or a mysterious creature that is otherwise unknown.

  • TabascoNatalie
    April 20, 2015 at 10:37 am

    I was talking about Paganism in the sense of pre-Christian European heritage. Like Druids, etc.

    Occultism, psychics, divination -- where people actively seek contact with "the other world" -- that's what i think its wrong.

  • artmom
    April 22, 2015 at 9:11 am

    Originally Posted by TabascoNatalie
    I was talking about Paganism in the sense of pre-Christian European heritage. Like Druids, etc.

    Occultism, psychics, divination -- where people actively seek contact with "the other world" -- that's what i think its wrong.
    I gotcha!

    You do have to be very careful with the spirit world much like with the ocean. Sure it looks and calm and serene, but just below the surface there are plenty of dangerous fish as well as harmless fish, and either way you still have to be careful of all of them. And some times, you can just float on top of that veil of water and a creature will splash up and either surprise you, injure you, or in some cases, kill you. I'm using this analogy because we wouldn't let our kids in the ocean, or lake, without warning them of the risks. I personally think the same way about the spirit world and I think the spirit world could be a another realm or fabric part of the universe, who knows.

  • page16
    May 13, 2015 at 6:53 pm

    Originally Posted by artmom
    Agreed. I dabbled with a homemade Ouiji board with my best friend and I will never do that again. Some of what we experienced no one believes.
    My daughter fully understands the risks involved with the board and won't even touch it. Not even play it at a friends house in case something follows her home.
    I have some very bad experience with a ouiji board. Stay away from it as far as you can. It's dangerous, trust me.

  • Wickett
    May 26, 2015 at 6:02 am

    Originally Posted by page16
    I have some very bad experience with a ouiji board. Stay away from it as far as you can. It's dangerous, trust me.
    I have a serious question that I don't mean to come off as instigating at all, but, how does one have a bad experience with a small flat board?

  • artmom
    May 26, 2015 at 6:25 am

    Originally Posted by Wickett
    I have a serious question that I don't mean to come off as instigating at all, but, how does one have a bad experience with a small flat board?
    Some people view Ouiji boards as just a game. However, it is believed by others to be a tool in open portals to the spirit world. This is dangerous because anything can come through that portal. People who are trying to contact deceased relatives have ended up contacting tricksters (spirits who like to mess around with people and mimic someone else), demons, other spirits. Once you open the portal it is very hard to control what and how many souls pass through. Once a Ouiji session is done the portal has to be closed with a proper farewell. If you don't then the portal stays open, even after the board is put away. Experiences with this board vary. Some have good times with it and others have terrible times. There are a wide variety of methods to contact spirits and all have the same risks involved. But the Ouiji is the only one where, unlike EVP sessions, words are spelled out so there is no guessing or matrixing with what is being said.

  • Wickett
    May 26, 2015 at 6:43 am

    Originally Posted by artmom
    Some people view Ouiji boards as just a game. However, it is believed by others to be a tool in open portals to the spirit world. This is dangerous because anything can come through that portal. People who are trying to contact deceased relatives have ended up contacting tricksters (spirits who like to mess around with people and mimic someone else), demons, other spirits. Once you open the portal it is very hard to control what and how many souls pass through. Once a Ouiji session is done the portal has to be closed with a proper farewell. If you don't then the portal stays open, even after the board is put away. Experiences with this board vary. Some have good times with it and others have terrible times. There are a wide variety of methods to contact spirits and all have the same risks involved. But the Ouiji is the only one where, unlike EVP sessions, words are spelled out so there is no guessing or matrixing with what is being said.
    Riiiight, okay. Well thanks for the explanation anyway.

  • page16
    May 26, 2015 at 9:46 pm

    Originally Posted by
    Experiences with this board vary. Some have good times with it and others have terrible times.
    Exactly. Ouiji was daily routine when I was in college. We always had a great time, except once, and that was the last time we ever touched a ouiji board.

  • BellaBabyBoutiq
    August 31, 2015 at 7:16 pm

    As a Christian, I think my children should understand all things at age appropriate times. It is up to them to choose what is right for them. We don't need a lesson in Paganism here, this forum is about parenting not religion. Most children do not have a clue about religion inherently or about spirituality until they are around 3 -10 years of age or until someone enlightens them - however will they understand it? It depends on the child, their age and their level of development and maturity. They can eventually decide what their own truth/religion/knowledge/myths are as they grow up.

    In my opinion, paranormal things do exist. Spirits do exist. Evil and Misguidance does exist. Demons and evil spirits are not a joke nor are many paranormal experiences so I think most parents should shield their children while they are young from anything dangerous. I just think parents should be careful what kind of crap they allow their children to be exposed to or they might grow up quite confused or be hurt by something they cannot control.

    Ouija boards and such things are dangerous. And we should not guide our children to something that could hurt them.

    I just don't think Children should be frightened by such confusing topics as Paranormal until they ask about it. Will they eventually learn about it, most likely. At some point most children understand something of the paranormal so perhaps when your child gets to that age and asks then you should share the data then as best you can.

    Kimberly

  • artmom
    September 1, 2015 at 12:48 am

    Originally Posted by BellaBabyBoutiq
    As a Christian, I think my children should understand all things at age appropriate times. It is up to them to choose what is right for them. We don't need a lesson in Paganism here, this forum is about parenting not religion. Most children do not have a clue about religion inherently or about spirituality until they are around 3 -10 years of age or until someone enlightens them - however will they understand it? It depends on the child, their age and their level of development and maturity. They can eventually decide what their own truth/religion/knowledge/myths are as they grow up.

    Kimberly
    I think you are taking the point of the thread out of context. No one is preaching, teaching or pushing any views. If someone asks a question, I give an answer in my own perspective.

    Religion is very loose in my house. I wasn't raised religious but spiritually. I was born Christian/Anglican.

    It doesn't matter what my beliefs are or your beliefs are, we all have different opinion and stances on the paranormal, spirituality and religion and apply it in the way we raise our family. So, yes, it is very much relevant to parenting. And, I would hope to think that a parenting forum is accepting of anyone regardless.

    This thread is for those who do express interest in the paranormal and may be curious as to how others handle it in their households or who may be concerned about their children exposed to it. Besides, it is an interesting topic that not many people think of talking about or are too scared to for fear of judgy people.

    If you have read my previous posts you can take note that I don't condone the use of Quiji boards. They are, in fact, banned in my house and my daughter knows she is not to participate in Ouiji sessions anywhere else as something can follow her home.

    I was just explaining before that I have taught my daughter to respect spirits. It is a topic that comes up and she does have questions. We both have had personal experiences and I have had a long time interest in the paranormal and supernatural since way before she was born.

    If the topic is not your cup of tea you didn't need to respond, but you did so it must be of some interest to you to take the time to reply with such a thoughtful post.

    I find it peculiar that this thread is one of the main focus's on the PF home page, still.

  • cybele
    September 1, 2015 at 5:10 am

    PF's home page changes about once every six months, haha.



Post Reply