Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > General Parenting Forums > General
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Mama4ever
PF Regular

Mama4ever has disabled reputation
Default Intrinsic Motivation vs. External Rewards

I came across a short seminar about how businesses can motivate employees. As a parent, I can see some similarities between a business and a family.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrkrvAUbU9Y
He gave many examples of how rewards offered to try to increase productivity actually decreased productivity when creative solutions were needed. They did help, in mechanical straight forward solutions.

My favorite parenting book & method is "love and logic" - where you make sure your kids feel loved & empathized by you, but also make sure they learn from the natural or logical consequences. Instead of lectures, consequences (like taking away priviledges) are the discipline.

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the sea." - Antoine de Saint

How, as parents, can we inspire this intrinsic motivation in our children?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
mom2many
Super Moderator

mom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Ted (22), Samantha (21), Lupan (20), Megan (19), Cole (12), Vanna (9), Aiden (6), Kailyn 3 years
Default Re: Intrinsic Motivation vs. External Rewards

Im gonna bump so when i have time i can watch it.

Love and Logic is great for some kids (as with most things involving children) while the whole of it didnt work with my kids aspects of it did.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
bssage
Super Moderator

bssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Boy Cole 12 girl 10 Chloe

I dont disagree.

But I personally like to mix it up. What works for my son may not for my daughter. What worked today may not tomorrow. I think in a perfect world intrinsic motivation would be the way to go. But their are a lot of components to what motivates a person. And many of these change dynamically. Depending on a limitless number of variables. From the time of day, how our ego's play a part in motivation, including but not limited to the motivation of the task giver which may be very different from the task doer.

So I guess its fair to say, intrinsic motivation would be my preferred method but not my only method
Old 04-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
IADad
Super Moderator

IADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond repute
Children: 2 boys - 12yo and 7yo

Perhaps I should give that a read, we're currently struggling with a 10 yo, who's using illness and injury as a plow to get what he wants, and it's frustrating because we now no longer know when he's really hurt. I know it's a phase and he's testing his powers in the world, but I dislike the whole taking away of priviledges to make a point in this case. I fear it will lead to a "nobody believes me anyway so I might as well lie and see what I can get away with" attitude or an "if they're going to treat me like I'm bad, I'll show 'em how bad I can be."
Closed Thread