Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > General Parenting Forums > Parenting Debate
    Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
    Lissa
    PF Visionary

Lissa has disabled reputation
    Default Spanking vs. Smacking

Is there a difference between spanking a child and smacking their hand?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
    Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
    fallon
    Super Moderator

fallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond repute
    Children: Debralyn 10/21/02, Logan 3/19/07, and Madeline 7/10/09
    Default Re: Spanking vs. Smacking

for me it depends on how hard the parent is smacking the childs hand. I personally see nothing wrong with a light tip on the hand to let the child know they are touching somthing they shouldn't
    Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
    musicmom
    PF Visionary

musicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond repute
    Children: One boy 8, twin girls 7.

I think so. I never hit them on their hand hard, only enough to sting just a bit. That was enough to get the point across and made them remember NOT to do it again.
    I've only spanked their butts a couple of times and that was for pure 100% defiance and after being told several times. I normally don't have to spank at all. I hate doing it so thankfully it's not often at all. Not when they were little, only around five or six yrs old.
    Old 02-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
    Lissa
    PF Visionary

It's difficult for me to tell the difference because I was raised in a family where we got "spankings". My dad would take us into the back bedroom, make us take our pants down, and give us a spanking. To me, that was a spanking. And it was wrong because all we felt was fear. Being raised where spanking was used inappropriately makes it hard to discipline your own child, you know?

Old 02-13-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
    fallon
    Super Moderator

fallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond repute
    Children: Debralyn 10/21/02, Logan 3/19/07, and Madeline 7/10/09

I do...the child should never be afraid of you. And no force should be used...when I say light tap, that's really all it is.
    Old 02-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
    musicmom
    PF Visionary

musicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond repute

I know Lissa, my mother was abusive..not really with the spankings but the name calling, hair pulling, shoving, hitting us in our mouths, choking.
    I'm very careful parenting as to not bring any of her traits into my parenting style.
    I would never pull their pants down and spank them. I did that one time and I felt so horrible. I would never ever do that again.
    Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
    Lissa
    PF Visionary

The biggest issue is that I don't want him to be afraid of me. And I don't want him to think it's okay to hit.

I just don't know how to get through to him sometimes.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
    musicmom
    PF Visionary

I see it differently. My children do fear me because they KNOW that I do not put up with disrespect. I can usually get them to change their ways by a look. I had to establish all of this when they were small like yours. I was never cruel to them. It can wear you out totally to stay on top of it but don't let him see you tired. It'll pay off in the long run.
    Now that they are older I can talk to them about respect. When they are little like prince O there isn't much you can do but redirect and tap the occasional hand and use a firm voice. Look him dead in his eyes and firmly say "No Oliver, owie"
    Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
    FooserX
    PF Addict

FooserX has a reputation beyond reputeFooserX has a reputation beyond reputeFooserX has a reputation beyond reputeFooserX has a reputation beyond reputeFooserX has a reputation beyond reputeFooserX has a reputation beyond reputeFooserX has a reputation beyond reputeFooserX has a reputation beyond reputeFooserX has a reputation beyond reputeFooserX has a reputation beyond reputeFooserX has a reputation beyond repute
    Children: One boy, Bradley

At Prince O's age, I think it's cruel and unneccesary to hit, tap, spank. They are way to young to even comprehend what they are doing...just have more patience and redirect.
    Old 02-13-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
    musicmom
    PF Visionary

Isn't he two? Tapping his hand is fine. It's better then him going and putting something in a light socket or pulling something he's not supposed to. She has to do whatever to make sure he's safe. She is his guidance and there is nothing wrong with tapping his hand. That's what mothers do.
    If she were a chicken she would peck him, or a dog would pounce on their pups. No mother in the world allows her child to get hurt.
    Closed Thread