Parenting Forums
Hot Topics

Parents Forum

Parenting Community

Pregnancy Forums

, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > Developmental/Parenting Stages > Middle Childhood/Preadolescence
    Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
    lbb87
    PF Regular

lbb87 is on a distinguished road
    Default Rude to Guests Using the PC

I'm asking this here because I don't know where else to ask this. I'm not sure how to interact with kids anymore because kids nowadays are so different then the ones I used to babysit back in the '90s. I'm at a loss as to how to handle this situation.

My great aunt shares a house with her son, DIL, and their 12 y/o son (my 2nd cousin). My aunt has a computer in her TV room that her grandson is practically glued to. Sometimes if he has a friend over they'll play with his XBox or Playstation in his bedroom.

Sometimes, my aunt will need me to come over to help her and if she needs a break, I'll use the computer if it's unoccupied. There's really not much else to do if she needs a short nap. Other times, I'll call and ask if I can come use the computer since I don't have high speed internet. This way I can visit and use the computer at the same time, rather than travelling into the neighboring city to use a library computer. Usually, I do research, shopping, upload photos for printing, download large files, and watch a few important videos. My aunt says she has no problems with this.

So when I use my aunt's computer, a lot of time her grandson will come in wanting to play games even though he has an XBox, Playstation, Wii, Dsi, Kindle, Nintendo 64, and tons of toys. He'll stand over my shoulder and ask what I'm doing and when I'll be done. He comes in every 15-45 min. to see what I'm doing. He's not interested in what I'm doing, he just wants to play games. He's always clearly annoyed, which in turn annoys me. This child cannot occupy himself without an electronic device and his preferred device is this particular computer. Even when he had a laptop, he still preferred the desktop computer.

I recently tested out a theory and discovered he is barely annoyed if he sees that I'm playing a game. I get the impression that he thinks computers are primarily for playing games which he considers to be highly important and anything else is goofing around to him. I don't think he understands the concept of research or uploading photos or just reading news articles.

The more he comes in and checks what I'm doing, the more I just want to sit there just so he can't use the computer (yes, I realize that's not very mature on my part). Personally, I think it's rude what he's doing and he's also clearly spoiled and has an electronic addiction. Also, it's his grandmother's computer and she doesn't have a problem with me using it. I don't know why he doesn't use his father's computer.

Is there something I can say to this kid to get him to leave me alone until I'm done? I developed a horrible problem of becoming speechless when I'm agitated, which is why I don't like babysitting anymore. I guess that's better than saying something hurtful. But I need to have something prepared to tell this kid. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
    Old 07-02-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
    artmom
    PF Fanatic

artmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to behold
    Children: one 14 year old daughter
    Default Re: Rude to Guests Using the PC

Ever since video games were invented and available to the general public, kids have spent countless hours mesmerized with the power and control they have over characters. And they can really act out what kids have always wanted their toys to do. Even in the 90s parents had problems with kids and playing too much video games and watching t.v. The difference between the 90s and the now is that 90s parents told their kids to shut off the t.v. and game boys and get outside while the parents made supper, relaxed, cleaned, etc. Today's parents have this fear about something bad happening to their kids. Like they could be approached by a stranger, scrape a knee, break a bone, get hit by a car. Pretty much everything that has happened to us that has taught us valuable lessons. So, the parents now, prefer to keep their kids in the safety of their home. That and parents seem to say they barely have time to do the things they want to do when they have to watch their older kids, so they just park their kids down as a way to give themselves a break. I also feel that parents do so much planning of their play time, like scheduled play dates and organized sports and what not, that I don't think kids have the ability to plan anything with their friends. This is all with good intentions, but it's not the best approach. Next time your cousins? are bugging you to use the computer, tell them firmly to go outside. Ride a bike, skateboard, shoot some hoops, something, anything. Just get out of the house.
    Old 07-03-2015, 12:31 AM   #3
    TabascoNatalie
    PF Addict

TabascoNatalie is a name known to allTabascoNatalie is a name known to allTabascoNatalie is a name known to allTabascoNatalie is a name known to allTabascoNatalie is a name known to allTabascoNatalie is a name known to all
    Children: 3

I grew up with games. Doom, Quake, Mortal Kombat. Loved them, still missing them.
    Old 07-24-2015, 03:03 AM   #4
    akmom
    PF Fiend

akmom has a reputation beyond reputeakmom has a reputation beyond reputeakmom has a reputation beyond reputeakmom has a reputation beyond reputeakmom has a reputation beyond reputeakmom has a reputation beyond reputeakmom has a reputation beyond reputeakmom has a reputation beyond reputeakmom has a reputation beyond reputeakmom has a reputation beyond reputeakmom has a reputation beyond repute
    Children: Girl, 6; Boy, 4; Girl, 2

Well I don't think kids should be playing electronic games at all, as it is a waste of time. I'm raising my kids somewhat old-fashioned in that respect. That said, I'm not sure it really applies to your situation. That kid is allowed electronic games, and since you're not his parent or household member, it's not really your business.

You and I are from the 90s. So liken it to coming over to someone's house to watch a TV show because you don't have cable and they do. When you do this, the kids can't watch their afternoon cartoons. So they're not sure what to do. Sure, they can play outside, but this is normally cartoon time, so it's a pesky transition. Sure, they can watch TV upstairs, but it's not as comfortable and they won't get the big screen and coffee table they are used to having during cartoons. That is probably how it feels to give up your regular game time on the main computer.

My mom used to make me give up my room when Grandma came to visit. Sure, it's my parents' house, and Grandma didn't come up often, but it was still kind of annoying having to forfeit my room and wait until my Grandma was done to go in and get my stuff. It's probably kind of annoying for them to suddenly have their routine set aside for a guest's needs.

I hope that helps with perspective. The solution may be to bring your own laptop over and use her WiFi. All high-speed Internet is WiFi now, right?

Last edited by akmom; 07-24-2015 at 03:06 AM..
    Old 07-24-2015, 03:33 AM   #5
    artmom
    PF Fanatic

artmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to beholdartmom is a splendid one to behold
    Children: one 14 year old daughter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by akmom View Post

I hope that helps with perspective. The solution may be to bring your own laptop over and use her WiFi. All high-speed Internet is WiFi now, right?
    Only if the customer has a WIFI set up with their provider. It's still an option in most cases.
    Old 08-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
    CraigK
    PF Regular

CraigK is on a distinguished road
    Children: 3 balls of stress, 7 yr old Tate, 10 yr old Natalie, 15 year old Annabelle

Many kids have built up a reliance on tech these days. Perhaps in order to better your relationship with this kid and show him that there is fun outside of a computer screen play a board game with him and then make a schedule for who gets to use the computer and when!

http://www.kidsinthehouse.com/forum
    Closed Thread