Parenting Forums
Hot Topics

Parents Forum

Parenting Community

Pregnancy Forums

, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > Developmental/Parenting Stages > Middle Childhood/Preadolescence
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
3sACrowd228
PF Fanatic

3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of
Children: 6 Kids , 2 Sons (19 & 3) & 4 Daughters (16,9,6 & 3)
Default 6 Yr Old Daughter Still Needs Diapers/Pullups

Hi

My 6 Yr Old Daughter is one of the cutest and most loving little girls ever. I love her to bits and if anything terrible happened to her , i would never forgive myself.

But for the past couple of years, we have had an ongoing issue that has made her bedtime not very nice to have. My 6 Yr Old Daughter has been a bedwetter for a number of years.

It started when she was 4. We got her out of diapers during the day , but when it came to the night , we never managed to crack nighttimes. We took her diapers away and moved her into pullups and began the ease into toilet training at night.

Many times we thought we cracked it , but then we got more wet beds and wet pullups. Her dad died and that made it worse. She started wetting more times in the day and wet the bed and her pjs every night. So to save me from cleaning bedsheets every night , i regretfully returned her into diapers at night because of all the stress me and my family were going through.

Now she is 6 and we managed to get her out of the diapers again , but the wetting hasn`t gotten any better. She still wets her bed most of the nights and she remains in pullups and even occasions when the store had no pullups i had to resort her to diapers again.

We have been to many different doctors and they all say that its normal and she will grow out of it , but she has been doing this for too long and i want to try and end this bedwetting stage once and for all.

I have a fiance and i am hoping he can help get my 6 yr old daughter out of pullups and hopefully start getting dry beds for once.

I hope i am not doing anything wrong and i hope you can give me advice in the right direction because i don`t want her to turn 7 next year and be checking her pullup for wet patches.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
3sACrowd228
PF Fanatic

3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of3sACrowd228 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 6 Yr Old Daughter Still Needs Diapers/Pullups

UPDATE

Last night , we had another soaked bed and soaked pullup. This has gone beyond a joke.

We have been to many doctors with this situation. She hasn`t got a bladder problem as she has been checked many times and they found no infection.

I`m thinking it may be incontinence but i`m still not sure because she is dry on some nights and wet on the others. But for the past few weeks , she has been wet every night and me and my fiance have to rush out to the shops to get enough pullups for her (and they need to be the right ones).

I just hope someone can help because i don`t want to be doing this when she turns 7 this year. Its hard enough having her wetting the bed at 6 and training my twins at 3.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
IADad
Super Moderator

IADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond reputeIADad has a reputation beyond repute
Children: 2 boys - 11yo and 7yo

Have you ventured down a psychological route? What may have started out as a normal bedwetting epiosde may be continueing due to psychological reasons. I mean this girl had been through a lot with losing her father and now the prospect of a new step-father. Anyway, not saying it is psychological, I just think I'd want to examine that path.

And she is 100% dry during the day, right?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
3sACrowd228
PF Fanatic

it may be that but she has got on very well with her new future step father and at times called her "Dad". Cute!

100% during the day - there have been moments where she wet her underwear at home , but i never did go that path because it has been a while since she had an accident in the day. The last time there was a day accident was last wednesday and that was quite a bad one.

Its just nights that are an issue. I am not embarrased to still be changing a 6 yr old in the morning but it is just unusual and she is starting to not like the fact of wearing pullups and at times diapers.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Xero
Super Moderator

Xero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Two boys, 6 years old and 2 years old

Its hard for me to think of much here. My younger brother wet the bed until he was 12!! I hate to say it, but the only reason he stopped was because my mom started being mean about it, like scolding him in the morning and making him wash his own sheets. After a little while of that, he suddenly just stopped. He has always had behavioral problems to an extreme though, so I'm very sure that his problem was behavioral.

One thing I can think of, have you tried limiting her liquids before bed? When any of my younger siblings (I have five) were having trouble keeping dry at night, my mom would keep them from drinking anything past a certain time at night. And then she would ALWAYS make them try to use the toilet before bed, whether they had to or wanted to or not. Right before bed, you should always have her go or at least try to go. Another thing my mom always did with the ones who were training, is she would set her alarm or just wake up or whatever to wake them up and have them go about half way through the night. You could do that, although I realize how much of a pain that sounds like, imagine that she might get used to the routine and take it up herself someday.

Other than that, here's some stuff I read off of a website:

About 30% of children still wet the bed at age 4, 10% at age 6, 3% at age 12, and 1% at age 18. Bed-wetting is more common among boys and seems to run in families.
Bed-wetting is usually caused by slow maturation of the nerves that supply the bladder, so that child does not awaken appropriately when the bladder fills and needs emptying.

Parents and the child need to know that bed-wetting is quite common, that it can be corrected, and that nobody should feel guilty about it. An older child who wets the bed can take responsibility by
  • Talking to a doctor
  • Limiting fluids after dinner (especially caffeinated beverages)
  • Urinating before going to bed
  • Recording wet and dry nights
  • Changing clothing and bedding when wet
Bed-Wetting: Behavioral and Developmental Problems in Young Children: Merck Manual Home Edition
Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Jeremy+3
PF Addict

Jeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Jackson 20, Amelia 15, Jake 6, Jade 5 and Olivia 3.

Night time bed wetting in children is almost always caused by a lack of ADH, this hormone controls the amount of urine the body produces, the less ADH the more urine you produce. You cannot receive hormone therapy you have to wait until their bodies are capable of producing higher amounts of ADH at night, along with their bladder increasing in size.

While in most cases a child will not be treating for bed wetting until they reach the age of eight, most gp's will encourage parents to encourage the child to drink a lot of water during the day until 6 pm. Water is processed very quickly so the bladder fills quickly, over time it slowly increases bladder size, so even if the body isn't yet producing enough ADH it does increase the chance of a dry night.

Does your daughter wake up when she has wet herself? If she doesn't that means she isn't recognising that she has wet herself, in which case you need to stop using any form of pull or nappy and use a water proof bed sheet instead. When you wet yourself and you feel that you have wet yourself your brain registers that the urge was there but was ignored, however if you don't feel that you have wet yourself your brain is not able to register that an urge was missed, so it prevents progression.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
3sACrowd228
PF Fanatic

Xero
Interesting story about your brother wetting the bed till 12. Did he have to wear diapers or pullups too ? Or did your mum just deal with it in other ways. As for liquids , I give her a glass of milk at 6 and then make her go to the bathroom/toilet at 7:50PM (10 mins before her bedtime) and then get her ready (Teeth,Pullup,PJs). Thanks for the information on Wetbedting.She never stopped wetting the bed from when she was born. We trained her many times but it would never work and we would always give up. I hope she doesn`t keep this up till 12 years old.

Never the less i will try to stop drinks and i might start recording wet nights (But i do that already)

Jeremy+3
No she doesn`t and this happens in the day at times. Sometimes she doesn`t know that she is wetting her underwear and wedon`t know till an hour later. We might use Waterproof Sheets but i don`t know where to find them. There are some cases inthat she knows that she has wet herself but doesn`t tell anyone. it may be laziness but i am trying to alert her to use thebathroom/toilet when she can. But night times i`m afriad we are stuck in a terrible rut.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Jeremy+3
PF Addict

Jeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Jackson 20, Amelia 15, Jake 6, Jade 5 and Olivia 3.

You can get water proof bed sheets anywhere that sells bed sheets.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Xero
Super Moderator

Xero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Two boys, 6 years old and 2 years old

He wore pull-ups to start, but eventually my mom had him in his underwear and with the plastic bed cover like Jeremy is talking about. The sheets on top are the same, but there is a plastic layer between the sheet and the mattress, so that the mattress doesn't get ruined. You still would have to wash her sheets every time it happened though, but its kinda worth it so that she can recognize the problem a little better. It seemed to help my brother, knowing that he wasn't ever going to get a pull up back to make bed wetting easier, know what I mean? He just had to go through the trouble of waking up and changing (because there's no way anyone would sleep through being soaked through their clothes and whatnot, unlike the pull up that keeps them comfortable enough to stay asleep) and washing his sheets in the morning.

I mean, she is still way younger than my brother was when he had to do this, so it may be different. Either way, the mattress protector might be a good idea in exchange for the pull ups.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
3sACrowd228
PF Fanatic

oh right thanks. Well i have decided not to give her milk tonight and instead i`ll get her ready in 30 mins. I have run out of pullups so im putting her into a diaper/nappy tonight and then buying some more tommorow. But i might try a night without pullups. Not tonight but tommorow would be good.
Closed Thread