, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > Developmental/Parenting Stages > Infant/Toddler
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
turbotad

turbotad is on a distinguished road
Children: Mackenzie (11mos)
Default ADHD Meds for 6-12 year olds??? OUTRAGE!

Am I the only one that is more than a little mad a the ADHD medication being marketed on this site (the banner ad above this as I type) for 6-12 year olds?

SERIOUSLY! What 6-12 year old isn't operating with a zillion megawatts of energy and would probably prefer not to sit still during social studies class?

I'm sure that my little 11-mo-old, by her ***Mod removed link to blog***, is going to have some psych tell me that she's hyperactive because she wants to go out & play soccer. The marketing machine of big pharma is just out of control.

Last edited by Xero; 08-14-2010 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: removed site link

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
sbattisti
PF Fanatic

sbattisti has a reputation beyond reputesbattisti has a reputation beyond reputesbattisti has a reputation beyond reputesbattisti has a reputation beyond reputesbattisti has a reputation beyond reputesbattisti has a reputation beyond reputesbattisti has a reputation beyond reputesbattisti has a reputation beyond reputesbattisti has a reputation beyond reputesbattisti has a reputation beyond reputesbattisti has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADHD Meds for 6-12 year olds??? OUTRAGE!

As the parent of a child with ADHD, I'm not turned off by this. I think that, perhaps, you share some of the common misconceptions about ADHD, such as that ADHD (or ADD, which is slightly different) just means that the child has a lot of energy.

I'm with you that big pharma is out to make money, but we started my son on medication at around age six, after so many incidents I cannot recall them all. The most poignant was when, after many repeated conversations with our son about the dangers of the street, he ran full on into traffic.

ADHD isn't just about being exuberant. From an article I just read: "Kids with ADHD may understand what's expected of them but have trouble following through because they can't sit still, pay attention, or attend to details." That's precisely what happened with my son.

And ADHD is devastating to their self-esteem, because they don't WANT to be "bad" - they just can't control their impulses. We resisted the diagnosis for a long time, because we felt it was over-diagnosed, and an "easy excuse." Eventually, at our wits' end, we elected to try medication. It was like the like the cartoon "light from heaven" with angels singing. We got all of the great parts of our son, and all of the misbehavior and inability to listen disappeared. He's not zombified or zoned out at all. He's still exuberant and energetic. He can just keep it under control. He's 15 now, and an honor roll student. At his request, we just tried weaning him off the meds, because your body chemistry changes over time, and eventually you may no longer need them. But after a few days, he told us that he couldn't concentrate, and wanted to continue with the medication.

There is a pretty good article about this on kidshealth.org.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Xero
Super Moderator

Xero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Two boys, 6 years old and 2 years old

I also think that's assuming alot, turbotad. I agree that the idea of medicating a 6 year old is a little distasteful, but most parents would rather try to solve any problems with their kids in other ways before trying meds. And my brother was SEVERELY ADHD and because of that I will never judge any parent for helping a child who really has ADHD with meds. And it definitely shows as early as 6, especially considering they are starting school.

And no doctor is going to diagnose your kid with ADHD just because you mentioned she likes to play soccer... There's so much more to ADHD than just having a lot of energy. And a doctor is not going to diagnose your child with anything unless you address it as a problem.

Inattention may not become apparent until a child enters the challenging environment of school. In adults, symptoms of inattention may manifest in work or in social situations.

A person with ADHD may have some or all of the following symptoms:
  • difficulty paying attention to details and tendency to make careless mistakes in school or other activities; producing work that is often messy and careless
  • easily distracted by irrelevant stimuli and frequently interrupting ongoing tasks to attend to trivial noises or events that are usually ignored by others
  • inability to sustain attention on tasks or activities
  • difficulty finishing schoolwork or paperwork or performing tasks that require concentration
  • frequent shifts from one uncompleted activity to another
  • procrastination
  • disorganized work habits
  • forgetfulness in daily activities (for example, missing appointments, forgetting to bring lunch)
  • failure to complete tasks such as homework or chores
  • frequent shifts in conversation, not listening to others, not keeping one's mind on conversations, and not following details or rules of activities in social situations
Hyperactivity symptoms may be apparent in very young preschoolers and are nearly always present before the age of seven. Symptoms include:
  • fidgeting, squirming when seated
  • getting up frequently to walk or run around
  • running or climbing excessively when it's inappropriate (in teens this may appear as restlessness)
  • having difficulty playing quietly or engaging in quiet leisure activities
  • being always on the go
  • often talking excessively
I just try not to ever judge people, who's shoes I have never had to be in. You know?

And you really think 6-12 meds are an outrage? That's nothing, I dated a guy once with four younger brothers and three of them between ages 2 and 4 were all on ADHD meds. Now that's kinda bad.

But I watched my brother suffer, in his school work and even in his every day life, due to ADHD, and his quality of life was needlessly affected by the disorder. My parents did the right thing by medicating him, and he lived a much more comfortable life, and did much better in school and also with his peers. What parent wouldn't do that for their child?

Last edited by Xero; 08-13-2010 at 07:17 AM..
Old 08-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Dadu2004
PF Visionary

Dadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Delaney, 7 years old

As far as the advertising on this site is concerned....what happens is it pulls on keywords withing posts and then spot advertises based on that. So for instance, if we start talking about "baby shoes" we'll start seeing advertising for that. Pretty cool stuff. So, it's not that his site is promoting that, it's just the way the advertising works.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Xero
Super Moderator

Xero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Two boys, 6 years old and 2 years old

lol I think its funny honestly, sometimes we'll be talking about going on vacation and it will put up an advertisement for South Carolina or something for a while.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
turbotad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbattisti View Post
I think that, perhaps, you share some of the common misconceptions about ADHD, such as that ADHD (or ADD, which is slightly different) just means that the child has a lot of energy.
@sbattisti Thanks for replying. Whilst I know that there are a bazillion opinions floating around about ADHD, there are a few things that I've found at least are universally true about it:

(a) There are indeed symptoms or behavioral traits in a child which one would consider good, and others which you really wish you could get rid of - either through parenting, medication, training, education or SOMETHING. Obviously there is no argument over whether or not any good parent would like to see traits commonly associated with ADHD not exist in their child.

(b) There is NO scientific proof that there is some germ, bacteria, virus, cosmic ray or anything that actually causes ADHD. Big pharma has been trying for years to push the whole "chemical imbalance" thing on us, but anyone with half a brain knows that's marketing.

(c) Many parents are at their wits end trying to help their children and would do anything for them if it would mean helping them do better in life.

Now, I'd agree on the above. But I soundly disagree that medicating children for ADHD - ESPECIALLY young ones - is the right solution, as it really only masks other problems which could actually be confronted & handled - albeit with some leg work.

This video here explains a bit more about what I'm trying to say:
Watch Videos: The Marketing of Madness
Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
turbotad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadu2004 View Post
As far as the advertising on this site is concerned....what happens is it pulls on keywords withing posts and then spot advertises based on that. So for instance, if we start talking about "baby shoes" we'll start seeing advertising for that. Pretty cool stuff. So, it's not that his site is promoting that, it's just the way the advertising works.
It is indeed cool stuff, as that's the field I work in as a Web Systems Engineer. I'm not faulting the Forum for such - those ads just come in by themselves in a rotating basis. What I find concerning is just when you have a big pharma marketing machine that is busy trying to convince people that normal behaviour from their little kid is a problem that they need to be sold a DRUG for. That's all. I've already had people try to say my perfectly normal baby needed an ADHD med because she spit up once and therefore had "acid reflex disorder". It's just preposterous.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
mom2many
Super Moderator

mom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Ted (22), Samantha (21), Lupan (20), Megan (19), Cole (12), Vanna (9), Aiden (6), Kailyn 3 years

I think most if us would agree that there is a lot of over medicating going on with children, but at the same time there are a lot of children who benefit from it.

My 9 year old is ADHD and so far I have managed to keep him medicated, but I am not always sure I am doing the right thing. Sure as he get's older some of the issue's are easier to fix but am I doing it for him.....or for me? It's a really hard line to walk, and it's even harder to do "the right thing".
Old 08-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
Jeremy+3
PF Addict

Jeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Jackson 20, Amelia 15, Jake 6, Jade 5 and Olivia 3.

I don't get the drugs adverts on my computer, but that is because my IP will block them as it is illegal to advertise drugs here which can only be obtained by prescription.

I do agree with you completely though. ADHD is something that doctors over diagnose, all children do fit the ADHD criteria at some point, so a lot of doctors do use incidents that occur over a long period of time, such as a child butting in during a conversation, to running around like crazy a few weeks later. Some even do this by asking has .... ever done this....? If you do that with any child, they will all fit into the diagnosis criteria!

We get so many children who are sent to use because they have ADHD, but it turns out they don't, their mum and dad just visited as many different doctors as possibly until one eventually gave them and ADHD diagnosis.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
NinJaBob
PF Addict

NinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond repute
Children: 10yr old boy and 8yr old girl

On the other side. I suffer from a couple of mental illnesses and was not diagnosed until I was 29 years. My problems as a child were dealt with by punishment, yelling, sometimes violence, and people telling me to walk it off. People in my family with similar issues became drug addicts, alcoholics and victims of suicide. As child and even today my parents thought that mental illness was nothing but laziness and people trying to manipulate the system for sympathy. I struggled a lot growing up. As an adult with medication and therapy I am doing better but still struggle. If I would have gotten help as a child I feel like I would be doing better now.

I agree that people are overly diagnosed but the consequences of someone not being diagnosed correctly can be life threatening.