Parenting Forums
Hot Topics

Parents Forum

Parenting Community

Pregnancy Forums

, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > Developmental/Parenting Stages > Special Needs Parenting
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
bchamberlin
PF Regular

bchamberlin is on a distinguished road
Default Parenting a deaf child

My wife and I just found out that our 3 month old baby boy is deaf. We had our suspicions and knew he didn't pass his hearing test on one side while in the NICU (he was there for a month when first born) but today he had a very accurate and detailed test and both ears failed. Of course the next step is for him to have a CT scan of his ears to find out about all the mechanics that he has or doesn't have but it's very clear that he cannot hear anything at all. We're devastated but we're dealing with it. Just looking for where to start in how you parent and raise a deaf child. I did some reading and know there are options as far as implants but we're not there yet. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

--Brian

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
xox.ilu.xox
PF Addict

xox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Hayleigh - 5 years
Default Re: Parenting a deaf child

I dont really have any advice, besides that im sorry. My husband was born deaf, but luckily with a surgery on his ear canals when he was about 4 made it so he could hear again. I hope everything works out for you!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
bchamberlin
PF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xox.ilu.xox View Post
I dont really have any advice, besides that im sorry. My husband was born deaf, but luckily with a surgery on his ear canals when he was about 4 made it so he could hear again. I hope everything works out for you!!!
Thanks for the kind words. I suppose you've given me a little hope since surgery was an option for him. We just found out today so it's too early to see what's ahead for us.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Xero
PF Deity

Xero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Two boys, 6 years old and 2 years old

I wish I knew what to tell you. I have no experience or knowelege in that area at all. I'm sorry that you have to go through it though, and I absolutely wish the best for you and your boy. There's SO much that they can do for this these days that he has a huge chance of someday living a very normal life I think!

A member here, ElliottCarasDad, has a son who is deaf. He could probably offer some valuable insight. I know he has had some hearing aids and that he just posted something about him getting one of those implants.

Good luck! And I'm sure you'll learn as you go.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
bchamberlin
PF Regular

I'd love to be able to talk to him... maybe if he sees this post he'll contact me. =)
Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Father_0f_7
PF Addict

Father_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Megan 26, Dylan 22, Dane 21, Cassie 19, Jon 18, Billy 13, Kaitlyn 13

He's always around here somewhere and always willing to help. I'm sure He'll be able to give you some great advice.

As for me, I know a little sign language but that's about all I know that's even remotely related to deafness so I probably wont be able to do anything but let you know that my prayers are with your son and the rest of your family right now.

Dane. Lookin' sharp
Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #7
Jeremy+3
PF Addict

Jeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Jackson 20, Amelia 15, Jake 6, Jade 5 and Olivia 3.

My oldest son is deaf, he has 8% hearing in one ear and 10% in the other, he is deaf due to my wife having measles whilst pregnant.

He has hearing aids that amplify sound, but he doesn't bother wearing them, he hasn't even had a new pair since he was 16 because he doesn't bother with them.

He signs and lip reads, but more often than not he lip reads unless he is around someone else who is deaf, in which case he only signs.

Last edited by Jeremy+3; 01-14-2011 at 07:23 AM..
Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #8
bchamberlin
PF Regular

Hi Jeremy, thanks for sharing. How did you handle things when he learned he was deaf? I assume you learned this while he was very young. What was it like with a deaf baby? I find we still talk to him and whisper when he's sleeping...it's very strange. I get sad thinking about all of the things he's going to miss... music etc. His mother and I cried last night thinking how we'll never hear his voice, never hear him tell us he loves us or us him. It's very sad right now. I know we'll get through this and we'll give him the best life we can. We'll teach him the best we can and give him the tools to be as productive as he wants to be. It's just hard right now having only found this out the other day.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
Jeremy+3
PF Addict

Jeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond reputeJeremy+3 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Jackson 20, Amelia 15, Jake 6, Jade 5 and Olivia 3.

Oh, is your son dumb?

As we knew my wife had had measles we knew there was likely to be some effect on our son, so it wasn't exactly a surprise when he was deaf. Deaf children aren't really any different to other children, with any child when they are infants you need a language that isn't reliant on sign so you can understand what they need.

If you don't talk to him he wont be able to learn to lip read if that is something you want to teach him, it is also important in learning about expression as well.

Last edited by Jeremy+3; 01-14-2011 at 05:18 AM..
Old 01-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
ElliottCarasDad
PF Addict

ElliottCarasDad has a reputation beyond reputeElliottCarasDad has a reputation beyond reputeElliottCarasDad has a reputation beyond reputeElliottCarasDad has a reputation beyond reputeElliottCarasDad has a reputation beyond reputeElliottCarasDad has a reputation beyond reputeElliottCarasDad has a reputation beyond reputeElliottCarasDad has a reputation beyond reputeElliottCarasDad has a reputation beyond reputeElliottCarasDad has a reputation beyond reputeElliottCarasDad has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Elliott - 7, Cara - 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamberlin View Post
I'd love to be able to talk to him... maybe if he sees this post he'll contact me. =)
I'll get back to you later today with a PM with links to good info.
I know the roller coaster of emotions you are going through, but it gets better. My son is now 4 and just had a cochlear implant this week. Early detection is always better as far as communication goes. As a minimum start learning to sign. "Signing Time" videos are excellent, most all libraries have them. Are you in contact with Early Intervention in your area? They will usually get the ball rolling as far as educational needs go.