Parenting Forums
Hot Topics

Parents Forum

Parenting Community

Pregnancy Forums

, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > Developmental/Parenting Stages > Adolescence/Puberty
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
SusyLoren

SusyLoren is on a distinguished road
Children: Monica 17.
Default My 17 year old daughter and her thongs..

I don't want her to have them but she is almost 18 years old.. engaged and I just had no reason not to let her wear them, Up until now she was buying them and I was throwing them away because I didn't think they were appropriate.. but know what can I say she has graduated she is responsible she buys them with her own money... I don't know what I can say I've told her that if I see them in the laundry I will throw them out.. but its doesn't seem to do anything.. She told me to get over it that she was growing up and it wasn't such a big deal when we were at the store and she told me she wanted to buy them.. Know she is getting her fiance to be there with her when she buys them.. she says he doesn't look because its weird but I don't know could they be for him??. I mean I like him very much and they are wonderful together he is a real nice man gentle sweet respectful, thoughtful I'm happy for her I just don't like this thong thing..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Father_0f_7
PF Addict

Father_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Megan 26, Dylan 22, Dane 21, Cassie 19, Jon 18, Billy 13, Kaitlyn 13
Default Re: My 17 year old daughter and her thongs..

Why don't you like it?

Dane. Lookin' sharp
Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
SusyLoren

I think they are inappropriate and trashy and ugly and she is a little chubby
Old 06-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Father_0f_7
PF Addict

Father_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond reputeFather_0f_7 has a reputation beyond repute

So what? YOU think they are inappropriate...but why? YOU think they are trashy...buy why? YOU think they are ugly...she's not asking you to wear them.

And who cares if she is a little chubby? She likes them, maybe her fiance likes them as well. Like you said, she's almost 18. My two older daughters both wear thongs, we have a rule that as long as we can't see them whenever they bend over or anything we don't care what they wear.

Dane. Lookin' sharp
Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
SusyLoren

Well she is my daughter and she still lives in my house.. I think that underwear should cover the butt and a little string up the butt isn't underwear. I cant say she is too young but I'm not comfortable with it..

Last edited by SusyLoren; 06-26-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Old 06-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
MomoJA
PF Fiend

MomoJA has a reputation beyond reputeMomoJA has a reputation beyond reputeMomoJA has a reputation beyond reputeMomoJA has a reputation beyond reputeMomoJA has a reputation beyond reputeMomoJA has a reputation beyond reputeMomoJA has a reputation beyond reputeMomoJA has a reputation beyond reputeMomoJA has a reputation beyond reputeMomoJA has a reputation beyond reputeMomoJA has a reputation beyond repute
Children: 5 year old girl

First, I want to say that if this is the issue you are having with your 18yo daughter, then things must be going pretty well. Congratulations for that.

I understand your feelings about thongs and your disapproval of them. But I think this is something you are probably going to have to let go of. Tell her you don't approve. Tell her you wish she wouldn't wear them. But let it go at that.

I also think that if she is a little chubby and she is wearing them, then they probably make her feel beautiful, and I know that is what you want, ultimately. Be sure to tell her she is beautiful even if you don't think she needs the thongs to be so.

I used to have to wear thongs for work when I was a young adult. I would never choose to wear them. They are very uncomfortable. But to each his own.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
xox.ilu.xox
PF Addict

xox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Hayleigh - 5 years

my mom was the same way, then she just eventually gave in. I personally think they are very comfortable, thats all I wear, I feel weird when I have underwear digging into my buttcheeks hah. And they also make it so u dont have lines when you wear tighter pants. I agree with everyone else. Just tell her you do not approve and move on from it. but thats just IMHO.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Xero
Super Moderator

Xero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Two boys, 6 years old and 2 years old

I really think there are more important things to worry about in life aside from what kind of underwear your daughter wants to wear. At least, at this age anyway. If she were like 12 I'd say probably not haha but she's 17. Trust me, NO one her age is still wearing granny panties and I'm sure she just wants to fit in and feel good about herself or whatever. Same goes for boys and moving on from tighty whiteys to boxers. They're just underwear, they're not going to change who she is, the way she acts, or the things she does. Is it really rational to make such a big deal out of them? I really don't think so.

As for your reasons, ugly? Well, she probably thinks your underwear are ugly. I think granny panties are ugly, but they're more comfortable. Really thongs are made to be more attractive and sexy than regular underwear, so I don't know if I buy the "ugly" argument. But everyone has their own opinion I suppose. Trashy? So people who have class only wear granny panties? I get the feeling thongs are a lot more popular than you may be aware of.

Anyway, that's sad to me that you would point out that she's chubby. I really hope that she doesn't know that you think that about her, what a shot to the self esteem. And you would really tell her not to wear certain things because of the way her body looks? Outward appearance would never be reasoning at all for my decisions on what my kids can or cannot wear. As long as they are comfortable and happy with the way they look, that's all that should matter. I hope you don't make it so apparant to her just how shallow you are, no offense.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
SusyLoren

I mentioned to her that she isn't thin and things only look good on thin people.. I did it for her own good. I don't like he wearing thongs and I never wore them and only slutty girls do and I don't want me daughter to be one of them.. I don't understand why she wants to wear them so badly... and there are plenty of other more appropriate alternatives other than granny panties.. I'm against it and she should respect my wishes.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Father_0f_7
PF Addict

Quote:
I mentioned to her that she isn't thin and things only look good on thin people.. I did it for her own good.
No offense, but I don't think you did it for her own good. Maybe she likes the way she looks in thongs.And maybe she needs to feel that way beacuse her own mother is telling her she doesn't look good.

Quote:
only slutty girls do and I don't want me daughter to be one of them
Untrue, and very close minded. My daughters wear thongs...they are not sluts. My wife wears thongs...she is not a slut. AND, like Xero said...what kind of underwear you wear does not determine what kind of person you are.

I'm wondering why you really have such strong opinions on this? Who is really going to see her underwear, they are UNDERwear, they go UNDER your clothes.

Quote:
I'm against it and she should respect my wishes.
In some area's yes, and maybe even in this area if she were 12. But this kind of attitude for something this little is going to make her run out of the house as soon as she turns 18...faster than you can imagine.

Dane. Lookin' sharp
Closed Thread