Pregnancy Forums

, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > Developmental/Parenting Stages > Infant/Toddler
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
ymann68
PF Regular

ymann68 is just really niceymann68 is just really niceymann68 is just really niceymann68 is just really nice
Default HELP!!! My child won't wear long sleeves or jackets

My daughter is almost 3 and she will not wear long sleeves or jackets. We are having this ongoing problem with tags on her clothes and she won't wear jeans. last week she only wanted to wear green pants. We are having her tested for sensory issues in the middle of November. But, the weather is getting colder and she attends a preschool 3 days a week and they go to the playground. If anyone has any suggestions on how i can get my daughter to wear some warmer clothes i am willing to give anything a try. thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
Kaytee
PF Deity

Kaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Nichole
Default Re: HELP!!! My child won't wear long sleeves or jackets

Well I think at 3 she is going to know if she is cold. Let her go outside in short sleeves and see how she likes it. I wouldn't do it at school, but just to go play outside in the yard. She will realize right away that she is cold and should have put some more clothes on.
At 3 she is just testing her limits and boundries. Let her wear green pants all week. lol Its just a phase and she will stop soon enough. Then she will be wearing clothes yo udo't approve of again!!! lol

For school, i would make her at least carry a jacket to school with her. Tell her she does't have to wear it to go, but the teacher smay not let her play outside if she doesn't put it on.

Of course this is just what I think I would do, since my child is only 1 and would wear a snowsuit in summer if I put it on her. lol

If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!
http://www.spcnicholasidalski.com
Old 10-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
fallon
Super Moderator

fallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Debralyn 10/21/02, Logan 3/19/07, and Madeline 7/10/09

I agree
Old 10-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Tau
PF Fanatic

Tau will become famous soon enough
Children: 2 boys & 1 girl - ages 14, 11, 8

If sensory issues are at play - try some sweats with drawstrings instead of elastic, and possibly some tagless tshirts underneath.

You want loose comfortable clothing with as few seams and binding parts as possible.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
ymann68
PF Regular

ymann68 is just really niceymann68 is just really niceymann68 is just really niceymann68 is just really nice

I tried going for a walk tonight and the temp is about 55....she just had a tshirt...and I kept saying its cold want your jacket..her reply is no...Finally i put it on her it as a zipper front sweat hoody...she went crazy. cried all the way home.. I guess i will be spending a lot of time inside this fall and winter.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
ymann68
PF Regular

Does anyone know were I can find pants without elastic at the waist for a 2 year old
Old 11-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
CaringParent
PF Regular

CaringParent is on a distinguished road
Children: 2 sons 4 years old and 12 years old

I would say, you should apply some force to make her wear long sleeves or jackets as when it is really cold, you don't want your daughter to be ill. If she is very reluctant, try and make some stories. show her some TV shows, where children are wearing long sleeves and jackets and tell her can you see that girl and her jacket. Isn't she looking beautiful. Make some story and make her feel that if she doesn't wear the jacket, she won't look beautiful. I am sure she will start wearing the jacket.
As children have intensity to do those things which other children will be doing or want to do.
Hope this helps.
Regards.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
ymann68
PF Regular

Smile Re: HELP!!! My child won't wear long sleeves or jackets

UPDATE...Well I took my daughter in for an evaluation and within the first 10 minutes of our 2 hour evaluation she told me my daughter had Sensory Processing Disorder. She recommended i read the out of sync child..I read it as soon as I got to the book store and hour after our appointment. Also she showed me a brushing technique..I thought it was a little crazy but can I have not had one argument with clothes with my daughter since i started brushing her arms and legs. She still likes the long sleeves rolled up but she tolerates them on her body again. We began therapy last week and will go once a week for probably a couple months. thanks for all the imput....
Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
Kaytee
PF Deity

Kaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond reputeKaytee has a reputation beyond repute

yep, I have two friends that have to brush their daughters. They also have sensory issues. Also boucning the joints for a count of ten. They have to do the brushing and the bouncing thing every 2-3 hours every day. BUT it has helped so much.
I'm glad they were able to help and they will continue to help

Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Kaytee
PF Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymann68 View Post
Does anyone know were I can find pants without elastic at the waist for a 2 year old
hmmm......what about just drawstrings?

Closed Thread