Pregnancy Forums

, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > General Parenting Forums > Health/Nutrition
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
Thunder

Thunder is on a distinguished road
Default What can you do about a child that is addicted to sugar.

I have an 11 year old daughter that hides pops, candy, and even eats the cupcake decorative sugar. It has gotten to the point where it is sickening. I limmit her sugar when i am around but I can not be every where. What should I do to help her before she ends up with sugar problems?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
theglyphon

theglyphon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What can you do about a child that is addicted to sugar.

It can be a bit of a funny balance I think. You can limit the sheer availability in the house, and monitor portions--but I also think that a lot of kids go through phases and naturally learn how to moderate their intake. So over controlling their intake can interfere with that. I had one of my girls obsessed with cookies. A whole package vanished and I found the box hidden. The hiding bothered me. I sat her down and said that if she wanted to eat the cookies--even all of them--then she should just do that and put the box in the trash bin. She was about 12 then, after that she seemed mush better at just having a little and not always wanting sweets. O)r maybe it was a coincidence and she just grew out of it. Amazing how many things we worry about do just some right with time
Old 01-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
trick-r-treat

trick-r-treat is on a distinguished road

She is at an age where you can still tell her what she can and can't eat. I would save the desserts for after dinner and for special occasions.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
Chris

Chris is on a distinguished road

It is probably more than just a sugar addiction, although sugar is of course addictive. I had this problem with one of my girls. Often times children turn to junk food when they are upset about something. It could be that something is bothering your daughter and she is turning to the food for comfort. In my child's case she wasn't getting enough attention. I have four children, three of which or more agressive. My other child is quiet and very different from the others. She always seems content and happy but after sitting down and talking to her (about why she's sneaking food, etc.) she confided in me that she felt left out, that everyone received more attention than she did. Since I've started to make a real effort to give her extra attention, which sometimes means telling the others to quiet down and give her a chance in the spotlight. (I even had a "special me" day for her, and we had a party to celebrate her and all her great qualities) she has stopped the food sneaking and over eating. I would try to see if there isn't something upsetting your child. Hope this helps you,

Chris
Old 02-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
violet1
PF Regular

violet1 is on a distinguished road

I would stop buying it altogether, to begin with. If she's only 11, it's not like she can stop at the store on the way home and buy a stash of pop, candy, etc. to hide under her bed. That might sound extreme, but that's exactly what I would do.

Aside from actual conventional sugary foods, things like sugar, syrup, icing, etc. that you would normally have in the house, maybe you could find a place to stash this so she doesn't know where it is.

I would also talk to the doctor for some ideas, because like others have said, there could be more to it than just a sweet tooth.

It's important to encourage her to try some alternatives and offer healthier snacks. If that is all that's available, she won't have a choice either way.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
trick-r-treat

trick-r-treat is on a distinguished road

I agree - where is she getting it all from in the first place. I wouldn't have it anywhere around for her to get into it.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
tater03
PF Fanatic

tater03 will become famous soon enough

If I did have sugar in the house and my child was hiding and eating it I would either stop buying it altogether or I would definently be hiding it somewhere where I can control what she is eating while at home.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
Sam
PF Regular

Sam is on a distinguished road

What I find that the kids love is fresh fruit....its gives them the illusion that they are having sweets , which in a way is not far from the truth...while fruits are sweet, its healthy as well.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
happy2bg33k
PF Enthusiast

happy2bg33k is a jewel in the roughhappy2bg33k is a jewel in the roughhappy2bg33k is a jewel in the rough

It may be as simple as sitting down with her and sharing your concerns. Eventually we can't control our children's eating habits but we can explain to them what we feel is important and healthy. Personally, I wouldn't take all the sugar out of the house because it's not really addressing the problem head on.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
busymomma

busymomma is on a distinguished road

Look into a book like: Little Sugar Addicts: End the Mood Swings, Meltdowns, Tantrums, and Low Self-Esteem in Your Child Today

My son has stolen change to get it since we don't have it in our home and he refuses to eat dinner and will choose to starve instead. The school system does not help and actually have candy as rewards in elementary school. I had typed a real long reply and it got lost so here is a short and sweet version.

I was appalled when I read the first several above responses; you do not have the control you think you do with a child that age unless you homeschool and are with them 24/7. I hate to see someone ask for help/idea over a real concern and see responses that make them feel like everyone thinks they are a bad parent and that's why they have the issue, or that the issue is not a genuine concern/problem. I wonder how many of them actually have children over the age of 6?
Closed Thread