Pregnancy Forums

, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > General Parenting Forums > General
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
jgomez65
PF Enthusiast

jgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Top 10 safest states to raise a child

Parenting Mag. just released a study where they listed the safest states to raise a child.

Here is the full list and why they were picked

Top 10 safest States to raise a child

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Lissa
PF Visionary

Lissa has disabled reputation
Default Re: Top 10 safest states to raise a child

I have a hard time believing New York and California are the top states out of 50 to raise children.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
jgomez65
PF Enthusiast

jgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond reputejgomez65 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
I have a hard time believing New York and California are the top states out of 50 to raise children.
Based on the reports and the data they collected it seems like it is true.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
musicmom
PF Visionary

musicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond reputemusicmom has a reputation beyond repute
Children: One boy 8, twin girls 7.

What sucks is that even if you raise them in a safe state they grow up and are fed to the wolves. I think it's better to allow them to see the real world and educate them so that they may better it.

I've heard outer New York is beautiful. My SIL that just passed away was from there.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Lissa
PF Visionary

Lissa has disabled reputation

I apologize. When I think New York, I think New York City. And when I think California, I think Los Angeles. I personally wouldn't want my child raised in all that chaos. But I'm sure there are other places in those particular states that are more suitable for growing minds. I think the quiet country is the best place to raise a child. Big cities offer little to nothing for a child's imagination. I guess I'm just shocked that beautiful places like Montana, Minnesota and the Dakotas aren't listed.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Claire64
PF Fanatic

Claire64 has a reputation beyond reputeClaire64 has a reputation beyond reputeClaire64 has a reputation beyond reputeClaire64 has a reputation beyond reputeClaire64 has a reputation beyond reputeClaire64 has a reputation beyond reputeClaire64 has a reputation beyond reputeClaire64 has a reputation beyond reputeClaire64 has a reputation beyond reputeClaire64 has a reputation beyond reputeClaire64 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Ryan 21, Sean 16, Landon 14, Kathleen 11 and Nathan 7.

#5, not bad!

I never thought that California would be in the top ten. The city we live in is very safe, but I thought some of the larger cities would drag us down in the safety rating.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Trina
PF Addict

Trina has a reputation beyond reputeTrina has a reputation beyond reputeTrina has a reputation beyond reputeTrina has a reputation beyond reputeTrina has a reputation beyond reputeTrina has a reputation beyond reputeTrina has a reputation beyond reputeTrina has a reputation beyond reputeTrina has a reputation beyond reputeTrina has a reputation beyond reputeTrina has a reputation beyond repute
Children: DD (13) and DS (15)

Cool! I live in CT.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
jgomez65
PF Enthusiast

Lissa, you are right, most of the time whenever we think of a particular state, the first thing that comes to mind is a big city like NY or LA.

I grew up in a small town where everyone knew each other. As a kid, if I would get in trouble there was alway someone who knew who I was and they would go straight to my parents to let them know what I was doing.

We have lost that sence of community, and now I only know like 3 people from my neighborhood.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
bchamberlin
PF Regular

bchamberlin is on a distinguished road

Not sure what the point of lists like this are except for maybe for the media to scare the crap out of people. It's not very practical to think the majority of people can just pack up and move to another state because it's "safer".
Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
jgomez65
PF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamberlin View Post
Not sure what the point of lists like this are except for maybe for the media to scare the crap out of people. It's not very practical to think the majority of people can just pack up and move to another state because it's "safer".
I think it is a good point of reference. Now most real states sites now give you crime rate information for the city you are looking to move to. Of course, this is a state wide data, but I think people like to knwo this kind of info
Closed Thread