Pregnancy Forums

, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > General Parenting Forums > Health/Nutrition
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
new001

new001 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation HELP! My teen and her bed wetting problem!

Ok so Ashley my 13 year old daughter started having wetting issues about 2 months ago. Well at first I was calm about it and after about the second week of her having a wet bed every other night and a few day time accidents ,

I decided to shedule her a doctors apointment. We went to the apointment and the doctor concluded that Ashley's bladder is acting abnormaly because of puberty. He said that it will most likely be an issue that will go away with age and to just wait it out. We had two options either medicine or night time protection. But it turns out that the only bed wetting medication that they had would end up interfering with another med she was already taking. So we chose the protection instead.

We came back from the doctors apointment and later that night when I went out to get groceries I picked up some diapers for her. Well when I got home I called her down and she just looked at the diapers and she completely flips out! I mean like she was throwing a grade A fit. She yelled at me "I aint wearin no G%$ D#%@ diapers" and then she ran up to her room crying. Now I understand just how embarrasing this is for my Ashley and I cant even begin to imagine how she feels right now. But she really needs the protection and her room is starting to smell of urine and her matress is almost ruined by now. So I gave her the night to chill out and rest from last nights outburst. So I walk into her room and as usual her sheets are wet. She awakens and I can see the embarasment burning in her eyes, It made me feel like S#^t.

I tried once again talking to her calmy about the diapers and she still will not budge, by now I was thinking that maybe she just needs some time for the idea to grow on her. So I give her some more time to think about it over the course of the next two days and I finally ask her again. She still will not budge! Now by this point her room smells awful and I feel like I should just go in and change her into that diaper myself!

Ughh I dont know what to do I love her and only want the best for her. : (

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-22-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
Dadu2004
PF Visionary

Dadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Delaney, 7 years old
Default Re: HELP! My teen and her bed wetting problem!

THere has to be something you can use besides something like diapers. Can you use a mattress pad?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
zeitgeist
PF Fiend

zeitgeist has a reputation beyond reputezeitgeist has a reputation beyond reputezeitgeist has a reputation beyond reputezeitgeist has a reputation beyond reputezeitgeist has a reputation beyond reputezeitgeist has a reputation beyond reputezeitgeist has a reputation beyond reputezeitgeist has a reputation beyond reputezeitgeist has a reputation beyond reputezeitgeist has a reputation beyond reputezeitgeist has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Due date: April 12, 2009 (It's a girl!)

Quote:
The easy solution for bed wetting problems. Super Absorbent and Waterproof Pads, With Generous Tuck-in Absorbs Up to 6 Cups of Liquid. Designed to fit a twin size bed. Wash prior to first use. Additives containing starches used during manufacturing temporarily reduce absorbency. Fits a twin bed.Ages 18 mos. and up. 38" x 28"
Handy's Potty Training Pad Twin - blankets, pads and pillows - The Right Start - Babies to Kids

Twenty bucks, washable. I would say that you probably don't need to mention the "18 mos. and up" bit to her, but there's no question that this is more subtle than diapers.

I've got a hypoallergenic sheath around my mattress - I'm badly allergic to dust mites. It's fabric, but the label said it was waterproof. I've yet to test its seaworthyness, but it's something else you might consider. Picked it up off the shelf at Target.
(And hey, that mattress pad I posted above is also available at Target.)

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
MammaJamma

MammaJamma is on a distinguished road

hmmm maybe get a second opinion and see what that doctor offers...just keep reminding her it will go away soon and shes not the only one with that problem! don't worry! puberty stinks!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Pinkbook

Pinkbook will become famous soon enoughPinkbook will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgeist View Post
Handy's Potty Training Pad Twin - blankets, pads and pillows - The Right Start - Babies to Kids

Twenty bucks, washable. I would say that you probably don't need to mention the "18 mos. and up" bit to her, but there's no question that this is more subtle than diapers.

I've got a hypoallergenic sheath around my mattress - I'm badly allergic to dust mites. It's fabric, but the label said it was waterproof. I've yet to test its seaworthyness, but it's something else you might consider. Picked it up off the shelf at Target.
(And hey, that mattress pad I posted above is also available at Target.)

Good luck.
This seems like a good idea to me. Put the pad on the bed and put some plastic over it. Personally I don't think I could wear diapers as an adult. I can't imagine how embarrassing and humiliating has to be for a 13 year old. Even if others don't know she's wearing a diaper she does know and it makes you self conscious because you think everyone knows.

Also I agree with MammaJamma that you should try a second opinion, just in case.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
fallon
Super Moderator

fallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Debralyn 10/21/02, Logan 3/19/07, and Madeline 7/10/09

I'd get a second opinon, I would be concerned that this is a medical problem

Last edited by fallon; 11-29-2008 at 03:24 PM..
Old 11-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Always-

Always- is on a distinguished road
Children: Violet is seven months old.

I'd also be concerned that it's a medical problem.
My younger sister had bed wetting problems like this and my parents took her to the doctor to discover that she was suffering from Night Terror Disorder.
So, who knows.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
BentMonk
PF Enthusiast

BentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Christopher 16, Maleia 14, David 10, Lindsey 9

My 14 yr old has the same problem. She used adult diapers for a while, but now uses a mattress pad similar to the one mentioned. We have been to the doctor numerous times about this. Various medications have been ineffective. She even underwent surgery to repair tethered cord. The doc felt that may have been the cause of the bed wetting. Alas, the surgery basically did nothing. This was heartbreaking since the surgery was fairly major and recovery was long and painful. The results of a second MRI showed no abnormalities of any kind. The docs conclusion, and mine as well is that the problem is psychosomatic and she will simply have to grow out of it. My oldest son wet the bed, but stopped by the age of 12. My younger son wets also, but wears pull ups. My youngest daughter has had a few accidents, but does not wet consistently. Given the prevalence of wetness protection products for older children, bed wetting seems to be much more common than it was when I was younger. That, or it is simply more openly discussed. My wife had bed wetting issues into her teens. She said it just stopped. Neither myself or my brothers had this problem as kids. My personal opinion is that it is a mental thing more often than a physical thing. I think more research needs to be done to help kids train their subconscious minds to wake them up, rather than just buying them bigger diapers and mattress covers while hoping it goes away. JMO
Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
Xero
Super Moderator

Xero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Two boys, 6 years old and 2 years old

I personally think you need to try harder to switch medicines to make the wetting medicine work. It's far more worth it to try the medicine than to make the poor thing wear diapers. I'm sure there's a way to make it work, don't embarass the crap out of her just because diapers are easier.

Also wake her up just twice a night and make her go to the bathroom. That could definitely help. You could even set a certain time for her to stop having drinks in the evening to make it easier for her to hold it.

I also would highly reccomend a mattress pad, but I don't see how that solves things because her clothes and the sheets will still get wet and her room and the things she wears will still wreak of pee if she's wetting like every night. And when you get the mattress pad, you should really get her a new mattress. That's so gross when people let their kids sleep on a mattress that's been peed on numerous times when everyone knows there's no real way to clean it (it will always stink, and I don't know about you, but I know I wouldn't want to sleep on it if that were me).

Anyway on another note, my step brother who is now 15 had a bed wetting problem until he was like twelve (he came to live with my mom at 11) and he had been to doctors, taken medicine, got diagnosed with a bunch of crap explanations IMO and everyone just let him get away with it because it "wasn't his fault". Then he came to live with my mom at eleven and by the time he was twelve the bed wetting magically stopped because of how my mom handled it. She was serious about it with him and that he needed to stop. And he did! Isn't that random? If it were really something medical, then do you think ANY amount of discipline would correct it? It was a behavioral problem, and as mean as that sounds, it's true.

I did the same thing till I was thirteen and it was because of my home life, abuse and stuff, and of course just in general no one properly taking care of the problem. When I was placed with my adoptive mom, the problem was taken care of in a matter of months. I was to many doctors who called it many things, but it was just behavior. So be careful who you listen to. Doctors are too afraid nowadays to look at moms and say "she's just being bad". haha you know? Cause most moms will get mad and be like "NO THERE'S GOT TO BE SOME KIND OF REAL PROBLEM" and they accuse the doctor of being lazy and not looking hard enough and not doing his job whatever. But yeah, I mean that's pretty much all I wanted to say. Not saying that I think that about YOUR daughter, what do I know? Just saying you should keep it in mind. I think we've all been through puberty, it doesn't USUALLY involve wetting the bed.

But seriously, good luck.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
BentMonk
PF Enthusiast

BentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond reputeBentMonk has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Christopher 16, Maleia 14, David 10, Lindsey 9

Xero my friend, you and I think so much alike it's scary...but in a really cool kind of way. I arrived on the scene when my youngest daughter was about 2 and a half. When she wet the bed I gently, but firmly explained to her that this was unacceptable and she needed to try harder to get up and go to the restroom. I told her that if she continued to wet the bed there would be not fun consequences. Oddly enough, she quit wetting the bed almost immediately. The accidents I spoke of happened when she was sick, so I didn't make a big deal about those. Coincidence? I think not. The other three were told from day one by their mother and grandmother that the bed wetting wasn't their fault, they couldn't help it, and everything would be OK. The damage was already done there, nothing I could do but offer my point of view and deal.