, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > Developmental/Parenting Stages > Infant/Toddler
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
kmccbo

kmccbo is on a distinguished road
Question Sweet smelling breath?

Hello to all. I am stumped. When my boys were firstborn, I noticed in the hospital a sweet smell to their breath. Then when my mother died last January, on her death bed, the same sweet breath. My aunt assures me it is your body going into ketosis, and that sounds correct to me. However, over the past 6years when my sons are sick, for instance with the flu virus or a fever they have the same sweet smelling breath. None of my family or friends have observed this with their children except for the first day in the hospital when they were born.

This qustion, of what causes this breath has arrose again b/c my youngest (17mo) is sick. He threw up a few times for the last 2 days. He has no fever, no cold, no cough, so I'm writing this off as a virus that came home from school with my 4yr. old. and speaking of the 4yr old, he threw up on Friday one time and has since seemed o.k. but also has the sweet breath?????

Has anyone else noticed anything like this????

I searched sweet smelling breath and illness and came up with diabetes. ??

But i only notice the breath when they are sick, but I just smelled the 4yr. old and he is not sick now and yes I smell it.

am i nuts?

Katherine
mother to
David 6ys
Donnie 4yrs
Derek 1yr

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Dadu2004
PF Visionary

Dadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Delaney, 7 years old
Default Re: Sweet smelling breath?

I've never heard anything about this, but I'm curious to see what we find out here....
Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Sirk
Your Forum Mom

Sirk has a reputation beyond reputeSirk has a reputation beyond reputeSirk has a reputation beyond reputeSirk has a reputation beyond reputeSirk has a reputation beyond reputeSirk has a reputation beyond reputeSirk has a reputation beyond reputeSirk has a reputation beyond reputeSirk has a reputation beyond reputeSirk has a reputation beyond reputeSirk has a reputation beyond repute

When my kids are sick they have bad breath.

I thought a baby's sweet smell came from the breastmilk.

http://www.crowdgather.com
http://www.flickr.com/groups/parentingforums/
Old 12-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
fallon
Super Moderator

fallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Debralyn 10/21/02, Logan 3/19/07, and Madeline 7/10/09

I have no idea, I'd get them in to seem the doc if you're worried though
Old 12-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
kmccbo

kmccbo is on a distinguished road

I know i've heard of the bad breath too, especially if they have strep. I'm really tempted to call my mil and have her bring over a blood glucose test thing, she has one.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
Paramedic Dad
PF Regular

Paramedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant future
Children: Well, I had a 4 year old little girl but, she turned 5 on 01/02!
Red face Re: Sweet smelling breath?

I'm going to disagree. Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) is a MAJOR metabolic disorder. Yes, severe hyperglycemia (like in excess of 700-800, regular is usually less than 100) can cause a "sweet, fruity" odor on the breath but, if they are at this stage they're going to have other big problems going on. Being sick can cause minor changes in your pH but, like I said, you would have some other major problems going on simultaneously if it were DKA. The pathophysiology is different too.

Now that I've told you what it's not we can move on to what it might be. Are there any foods or drinks that you give them routinely when they are sick? I'm going out on a limb but, if you do, this could (and I emphasize could) have something to do with it. Remember, I'm stretching pretty far with this but; being sick changes the homeostasis in your body (including metabolism and digestion). In theory something you give them when they are sick may manifest itself in an odd way when they're sick. As I stated though that's a stretch. Honestly though, I don't know. I seem to remember hearing something about this before (unrelated to DKA) but, I'm drawing a blank right now. If I think of anything, I'll post again. My suggestion would be to take them to their primary care physician and discuss it with him/her. No emergency, just when it's convenient. If you would like to discuss DKA more, PM me.

P.S.
Your mom may have had DKA. Being on her death bed and all, that's entirely possible.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
AmyBelle
PF Fiend

AmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Rebekah (age 5), Lilith (age 1)

To simplify, the sweet-smell, if caused by diabetes, usually only shows up when someone is going into a diabetic coma, its not constant.

If its been there all their life I would have no clue, food could have something to do with it, only the fact that they had this smell as newborns has me stumped. I have to say, after all those years working as a pediatric nurse, I never came accross a child with sweet smelling breath when theyre sick.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
Paramedic Dad
PF Regular

Paramedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant futureParamedic Dad has a brilliant future
Children: Well, I had a 4 year old little girl but, she turned 5 on 01/02!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBelle View Post
To simplify, the sweet-smell, if caused by diabetes, usually only shows up when someone is going into a diabetic coma, its not constant.

If its been there all their life I would have no clue, food could have something to do with it, only the fact that they had this smell as newborns has me stumped. I have to say, after all those years working as a pediatric nurse, I never came accross a child with sweet smelling breath when theyre sick.
Good point about the newborn part. I got to typing and that part slipped my mind. Makes me lean away from my food theory. Hey, I said it was a stretch! Lol. Well, I guess that puts me back to square one. I'm still drawing a blank but, I know I read something about a sweet odor on the breath unrelated to DKA. I'll probably remember in like a week when it doesn't matter.
Closed Thread