Parenting Forums
Hot Topics

Parents Forum

Parenting Community

Pregnancy Forums

, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > General Parenting Forums > Parenting Debate
View Poll Results: Should teachers give homework?
Yes 12 63.16%
No 1 5.26%
Depends on the situation and/or age of the child 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
16th ave.
PF Addict

16th ave. has a reputation beyond repute16th ave. has a reputation beyond repute16th ave. has a reputation beyond repute16th ave. has a reputation beyond repute16th ave. has a reputation beyond repute16th ave. has a reputation beyond repute16th ave. has a reputation beyond repute16th ave. has a reputation beyond repute16th ave. has a reputation beyond repute16th ave. has a reputation beyond repute16th ave. has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Emily 8, Chloe 6
Default Should teachers give homework?

well, should they?

Here's why I ask:
Emmy's teacher made a statement that she doesn't believe in homework because "everyone is so busy".
What does being busy have to do with your child's education? Isn't a child's education more important than making it to that dance class you signed them up for or that soccer practice after school? Granted extra curricular activities are important, but isn't a child learning the things they need such as the reading, the writing, the math, etcetera more important?
Shouldn't kids have some homework, especially the little ones who are just starting out and may need some extra ?practice? with things such as the reading and writing and math?
We've had no help from Emmy's teacher this year, pretty much left on our own how to help her with understanding math. The teacher did say she'd send extra things home that would help, If she came across any. But she hasn't bothered to do so yet. Even brought up tutoring, but that went unnoticed like it was never said. We don't have any clues as to what could be done to help her and brainstorm quite a bit looking for ways to help her get the math.
(apologize if it seems like i got on a soap box. we will and are using the links ya'll had mentioned in another post.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
Music-dad
PF Addict

Music-dad has a reputation beyond reputeMusic-dad has a reputation beyond reputeMusic-dad has a reputation beyond reputeMusic-dad has a reputation beyond reputeMusic-dad has a reputation beyond reputeMusic-dad has a reputation beyond reputeMusic-dad has a reputation beyond reputeMusic-dad has a reputation beyond reputeMusic-dad has a reputation beyond reputeMusic-dad has a reputation beyond reputeMusic-dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should teachers give homework?

I think they should....but I believe the teachers should consult each other as to what they are giving.

I have seen (with my 14 year old GodDaughter), her have, (4) roughly 2 hour assignments from 4 classes to complete overnight...

That's 8 hours of homework....and no family time.

Simply not fair at all!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
meow_173
PF Addict

meow_173 has a reputation beyond reputemeow_173 has a reputation beyond reputemeow_173 has a reputation beyond reputemeow_173 has a reputation beyond reputemeow_173 has a reputation beyond reputemeow_173 has a reputation beyond reputemeow_173 has a reputation beyond reputemeow_173 has a reputation beyond reputemeow_173 has a reputation beyond reputemeow_173 has a reputation beyond reputemeow_173 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Luke James Hunt: 32 months old, Abbigail due June 20th

I definatly think homework is a must. Especially seeing that its the point that thek ids can take it home and take what they have learned in class and adapt it on their own. HOWEVER, i don't think it is necessary for 8 hours of hw a night. Thats insane!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
fallon
Super Moderator

fallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond reputefallon has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Debralyn 10/21/02, Logan 3/19/07, and Madeline 7/10/09

I think there should be homework given...not tons of it but some for sure
Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
bssage
Super Moderator

bssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Boy Cole 12 girl 10 Chloe

I agree even if its just busy work. I say this because they will have homework as they get older and I think we should develope the habit now.

You get a feel for how they are doing by helping and looking over the homework. DS teacher doesnt send homework. He also is not as involved as I would like. In the past we had built relationships with his teachers exchanging email ect. This guy wont do that even after I came in before class and exchanged email addresses. I do not like showing up at teacher parent conf without knowing beforehand how he is doing. If there is a problem I want to know about it when it is happening. Teachers complain all the time about parents not wanting to be involved and I get this guy. IMO its just being lazy.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
JessicaMadison
PF Enthusiast

JessicaMadison has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaMadison has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaMadison has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaMadison has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaMadison has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaMadison has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaMadison has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaMadison has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaMadison has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaMadison has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Hunter - 19, Bailey - 18, Alexis - 9, Nicholas & Lauren - 14 mnths

Yes, they should. Maybe not as much as they do but there should be some. Obviously, for kids in high school homework needs to be given out. Maybe they could cut down on the amount of homework. When a teenager has so much to do they just rush everything. Think of it as quality over quantity.

I think that there should be homework exercises each night. Such as practicing times tables, counting to 100, cursive writing, learning the ABC's, spelling exercises, reading etc. Simple things like that at least for kids up to grade 6. When they get there, it should be more than that for sure. But not too much still.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
mom2many
Super Moderator

mom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond reputemom2many has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Ted (22), Samantha (21), Lupan (20), Megan (19), Cole (12), Vanna (9), Aiden (6), Kailyn 3 years

I am mixed on homework. I do feel kids need down time and family time, and lets face it homework can go over board. The problem I have with homework is that a lot of times it takes away from the family and down time, and down time is important, there was a time were kids got breaks in the day and plenty of recess, but they have started taking that away and then they complain that kids are getting fat, well if a kid gets home has anywhere from a hour to two hours of homework, chores showers, and bed time routine were is the exersize supposed to come from.

In my house the kids have 3 to 4 hours from the minute they get off the bus till bed time (the little ones), then figure in it is dark within 1 1/2 hours of getting home, that leaves no time.

My high schoolers have even less breaks they get one 5 minute break (thier supposed to eat, use the restroom and get ready for the next class) and a 30 minute lunch, which they at least get off campus, but still no activity time. Because of this schedule the teachers do try to limit homework but they still can come home with a butt load.

So I voted depends.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
Dadu2004
PF Visionary

Dadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond reputeDadu2004 has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Delaney, 7 years old

Yes, kids definately need homework, but it has to be within reason. When it causes them 30 hours a week, it's overboard.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
NinJaBob
PF Addict

NinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond reputeNinJaBob has a reputation beyond repute
Children: 10yr old boy and 8yr old girl

I agree with Steve. Homework helps you build on the skills learned in class but it can get unreasonable. I had quite a few nights where I cam home did homework then ate dinner then did more homework then went to bed. It was ridiculous.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
Xero
Super Moderator

Xero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Two boys, 6 years old and 2 years old

Well, I'm kind of in the middle on this one. It would take a lot of professional debating and research and contemplating on my part before I could really decide, yes or no. Homework is good and helps them learn and keeps their minds working, but here's the thing. Besides the fact that it can go overboard and control the poor kids' entire day, I've actually seen a lot of kids fail from not doing homework alone. They do great on tests, great on school work, but don't do the homework. There are a lot of kids out there with parents that don't give them the time of day, and sure don't care about helping them with their homework or making sure they're at least doing it. I mean there are TONS of kids with parents like that, that just don't really have the time or make the time for homework. It REALLY hurts a kid's grades not to do homework. Especially with classes like math where they generally send homework home every night. I just think if they DIDN'T have homework, that a lot more kids would potentially graduate or get better grades. There is so much trouble with kids not doing their homework, it almost seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. It's really hard to say, it really is. I just know I've known a lot of kids that would be doing so much better in school if it wasn't for the homework. I know it's lazy, of the parents and the kids alike, but it can take a lot and most kids don't know how to care as much as they should about homework.