, &

Parenting Resources

Go Back   Parenting Forums > Developmental/Parenting Stages > Infant/Toddler
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
halfstrike

halfstrike is on a distinguished road
Default How can i stop my 1 year old from hurting herself

when she doesn't get what she wants she starts crying which is normal but if i dont give her what she wants or let her do something shes not supposed to she pulls her own hair(in one instance pulled a chunk right out) and completely falls out onto the floor and hits her head and and she hurts herself and start screaming. i dont know what to do please help me

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
bssage
Super Moderator

bssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond reputebssage has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Boy Cole 12 girl 10 Chloe
Default Re: How can i stop my 1 year old from hurting herself

This is going to sound bad.

I think I would cut her hair, so she cant get a grip on it. The temper tantrum is probably a phase. If its not, I am unqualified to advise. And if it is, there a lot of strategies you can use

But if it is, you will just take away the thing that you are reacting the most to (understandably). Which is her goal. Besides it could be harmful at the least, painful.

Let her wear cute hats for a little while. And hopefully by the time it grows back to pulling length she will have moved on to the next thing that horrifies you. Like eating sand, or playing in the kitty litter.

Hang in there I know its tough. My DD is Autistic and we have similar situations happening at 7 yrs old.

Last edited by bssage; 12-01-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Old 12-02-2009, 03:13 AM   #3
AmyBelle
PF Fiend

AmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAmyBelle has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Rebekah (age 5), Lilith (age 1)

Id cut all her hair off aswell. If she's banging her head I would create a confined area that is completely padded and she can ride out her tantrum.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Xero
PF Deity

Xero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond reputeXero has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Two boys, 6 years old and 2 years old

I agree, it sounds horrible to agree with cutting a kids hair, but yeah. That, and confine her tantrum to a safe place. Its the best you can do. That, or hold her securely to your own body while you wait for her to chill out. Hold her arms down so she can't rip her hair out.

BUT I have to point out that its completely abnormal for a baby to literally rip her own hair out and cause harm to herself for any reason. Ask your doctor about this as soon as possible. I find this to be very serious.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
BenDavis503
PF Enthusiast

BenDavis503 has a brilliant futureBenDavis503 has a brilliant futureBenDavis503 has a brilliant futureBenDavis503 has a brilliant futureBenDavis503 has a brilliant futureBenDavis503 has a brilliant futureBenDavis503 has a brilliant futureBenDavis503 has a brilliant futureBenDavis503 has a brilliant futureBenDavis503 has a brilliant futureBenDavis503 has a brilliant future
Children: Alec

Wow great advice! Seems harsh, but makes sense. My roommates daughter hits herself too. She smacks herself in the face.

I tried to sit her down and calmly ask her why she is doing that and if she knows that she is hurting herself. We tried to make a deal that she would not hit herself anymore and if she feels like hurting herself, to come and talk to me and we can discuss her feelings over a cookie.

She hasn't hit herself since, but this was only two weeks ago.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #6
xox.ilu.xox
PF Addict

xox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond reputexox.ilu.xox has a reputation beyond repute
Children: Hayleigh - 5 years

I have the problem of my DD hitting US! eek!

I agree with Xero on the hair pulling aspect! I havent heard of a child pulling out their own hair because they are mad..:S I would definately talk to her pediatrician and ask him/her whats going on!

Best of luck!