10 year old know it all...

romz169

Oct 31, 2007
Is it normal for a 10 year old to be arrogant and act like they know everything. I know everyone can be this way from time to time, but its everything he talks about. I try to correct him and just give up because he will not listen to me because he has his mind set. I try to pick my battles so that the little things just slide by. I am just wondering if this is just a stage or if i have to take some kind of action to correct this?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I would say it is normal for his age...I would correct him on some things and when he puts up a real fight I would have him research the info and write me a report on th issue

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Just out of curiousity....what are you and his father like?

Did you correct him a lot growing up, or make things seem black and white?

From my experience, this is normal, but kids usually take on the personality of their parents.

romz169

Oct 31, 2007
I am his step dad and have really just entered into the picture just about a year ago. I am very relaxed and will tell him often that i dont know and that i'll have to look something up. His mom is also very honest and will let him know that she dont know. His real dad can be very stubborn and arrogant, but he does not spend much time with his real dad at all. (he will visit him for a few hours maybe once a month.) His fathers choice not ours. Its good to hear that this is normal, I try to encourage him that not knowing is not a bad thing. You just have to do some research to find the answer.

five of us

Nov 16, 2007
Walnut, CA
Sounds like you are handling it well. You are not chastising him which would further alienate him.

Wondering if he is just arrogant to you or to his mom and everyone?
If it's just you, it is normal that he would be that way to a new SD. It'll be a good idea to make more effort to earn his trust by doing things with him - go to ball games, play video games together, etc.