11 yr old shocking behavior...

boxer

Dec 22, 2007
My first time to this forum, after browsing, I didn't really see a problem like mine but just want to put it out there and get any feedback.
To make a long story short. I have two children a daughter 13 and a son, 11. They get along but aren't what I call close. They argue and disagree alot and are completely opposite in their personalities. Thats just some history. Ok, the problem is : my daughter had a shower and was in her room dressing and noticed her brothers camera in her room behind her desk. She picked it up and realized it was set to video and recording her. It had been placed there that morning by my 11 year old son while she was in the shower in order to get video of her dressing or naked. At first he denied it and then he broke down. He admitted it and is remorseful. We are thrown for a loop. This came completely out of left field. He said it was for him and he was gonna delete it. He had a sleepover for later that day and I thought he might have tried to do it for that reason but he says no. We are confused, angry, and upset. My daughter is very angry and upset. My son is the same. This is a crisis. He says he feels sick about it and that it was an impulse and he didnt think, he just did it. I'm trying to be supportive to both of them but I'm torn. Think of the ramifications of this. I thought about a crisis center for him because of some of the things he said about himself and how he hates himself. I don't think he's a real danger to himself at this moment. With the holidays though it's hard to get immeadiate treatment or counseling. He insists this is the first time he's done it, but i'm all over the place with horrible thoughts. He talked to dad (who took him to work that day, we kept him from school) and said that he's having sexual urges and he's and curious. We have known that he's taking long showers for a reason and tried to give him his space.
Both of my children have gone through what i call "early puberty". My daughter at 13 truly has the body of a much older girl. I'm just really at a loss over this. any ideas or advice would be so helpful. I feel like this is so abnormal and i'm very worried for him and my daughter.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
HI and welcome to the baords first, second please be patient over teh weekend and the holiday, you may not get many posts for a few days.

Anyways my gut reaction is that this is normal. Not that he tried to video his sister, butmy guess is that he is just curious about the opposite sex (naked) and his sister is that. I doubt it is an incestual thing at all. I think it may have been to show his friends as well, even if he denies that.
I would definately consider some sort of counciling if you feel he is depressed or anything like that though.
Not sure excatly how to handle this other then really truly explaining to him that what he did can really hurt his sister. Even if they don't get along 9most brothers and sister do not) he loves her and I am sure he just doesn't understand the ramifications of what this could do to her.

boxer

Dec 22, 2007
thank you for replying. i'm just realizing how deep this is. i'm used to running around getting errands and leaving them alone. now my daughter doesn't want to be alone with him. she is very mad. which i'm telling her she has every right. we've also restricted him from everything for the time being and he's starting to say he's bored and i'm having to remind him what he did was very serious. my daughter said it out loud but was thinking it "if this was anybody else, he'd be in jail". i keep going there and back to this is a "stage". thanks again.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I am sure your daughter is so hurt right now and you need to keep reminding her, luckily she found it. Also that her brother does love her and didn't mean to hurt her. I am sure that was not his intention.
have you thought about getting your son a book? Not karma sutra or anything but a good biology book geared towards older children that he can look at with you. Explain to him the parts of the body and all of that?

pht

Dec 22, 2007
Hi and welcome aboard.

I'd reckon both you and your husband should take time to discuss it together with your son regarding gender differences.

Hopefully, he did it just out of curiousity.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Welcome to the board. Wow what a catastrophe. I think I would be sick to my stomach if I found something like that between my daughter and my son. At his age I would have probably drove him down to the police station and asked to talk privately with an officer and him explain the ramifications for doing such things.
Him video taping his sister is off the hook disturbing. (that's just my opinion) I would take serious action on this one. He's too old to be acting like that. Wow.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
lol...

I never had a sister growing up, so I have no idea if this falls under the normal sexual curiousity behavior. Part of me thinks it's just an American Pie curiousity prank...but with his sister...hmm...wow...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
what are you doing here on the weekend???

Anyways I think it's probably harmless if this is the only thing he has ever done, I bet he did it to show his friends that night

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
>>>what are you doing here on the weekend???

Getting away.

You know my schedule?

That's sweet

<3

:p

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I wouldn't make to big a deal about the "sex" aspect, however <U>secretly</U> video taping anyone is improper.

superdad99

Nov 7, 2007
First, I think no matter what he says he was taping that for his buddies that you said were coming over. He is probably not interested in his sister sexually, but his best buddies are and kids at that age will do anything to receive the admiration of their peers. Second, you need to punish him however your family normally punishes acts of this severity. That will be more for your daughters benefit as the boy already probably feels like crap. Third, you need to realize that you can't force your daughter to forgive him, but you can encourage it. You can also encourage your son that he needs to go above and beyond in how he treats his sister from now on. Who knows, this might be something that brings them closer together in the long run.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
jtee said:
I wouldn't make to big a deal about the "sex" aspect, however <U>secretly</U> video taping anyone is improper.
wELCOME! My bro and I are 6yrs apart and when I was about....15 he and one of his little friends took my bikini top when I was laying out in the sun. I think they thought I would jump up and chase them down. Nope. I just told him I'd get him later. My bro and I usually handled things between ourselves. I do think in your situation it was curiosity and having a naked girl tape for a sleep over would be cool to his friends at that age. I'm sorry that happened but I feel the invasion of privacy is the main problem here.

veronicadavis

PF Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2007
Ft belvoir VA
don't hate me for saying this, but if I were you, I would have laughed about it and gave him some magazines to look at. Putting a ton of guilt and shame on him is going to make it worse, let him know that curiosity is normal but it should not be within the family. Also, I'm sure you're all right about him trying to impress his friends and thats the only thing I can really see wrong about the whole thing. Looks like you caught him in time and he won't be doing it again. Its not really that big of a crisis.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I concur with Veronica and katee. This is not perverted just part of the age he is at. While I would have penalized him for invading his sisters privacy, it is best not to make too much of this. i think he probably did it as a dare from his friends. Not that different from looking at a dirty magazine. Focus more on the disrespect for his sisters privacy and less on the incest factor as I dont think that is what this is. Is there a man in the family that can have a talk to him about women and his feelings toward them?

When things calm down I would also talk to his sister. While she is right to feel violated and angry you dont want her feeling that her brother is a pervert. i would emphasise that while this was gross it is not uncommon.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I agree that she is the concern here, she needs to know her brother does love her and that he was just being stupid in a sense.