12 yo with ADHD can't get along with anyone at school...

atoledo

Jun 12, 2014
Ever since he was five, we knew our son was different. He always had trouble understanding boundaries and could never stay still. He was diagnosed with ADHD and now, thanks to medication, is doing much better in school and in certain social situations.

However, he is still not 100% better. He doesn't get angry or violent, but he get very excited sometimes. He feels like he wants to be a part of everything and he "forces" his way into other kids' conversations, games, etc. at school. This has led to him being excluded from many social activities to the point where other kids will say "Oh no here comes so-and-so" and "Get lost, weirdo!". It's very sad and it hurts to see him sitting alone at lunchtime.

Most of the advice has been "just tell him he has to learn to control himself" which is useless because he always answers, "I try, but I can't help it." He is seeing a therapist which helps him cope, but it's hard for him to remember the advice from Saturday's session, when Monday rolls around.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You