12 yrs old boy afraid of flight...

c0193241

Nov 30, 2007
Indiana
My son is 12 yrs old and he is afraid of taking flight, even 2 hours. His reason is that it's very dangerous and there is alway plane crash tragedy in the news. Have any experience of helping kid like this?

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
How serious is his fear? I mean, does he refuse to get on the plane or get sick?

ejtilton

Jan 17, 2008
Burbank, CA
Try talking to someone who understands the physics behind flight (like a pilot) and hopefully they will be able to explain it in a way your child can understand - when you understand how it works, it is much less frightening.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I can relate. I look at it like this..........no one walks away from a plane crash. I flew a few times but after the plane went down in the Everglades here and they left all those people down there I would NEVER fly again.
I passed up a free trip to Ireland. I knew I would have a panick attack. No, No, NO!!!!! Have someone drive him.

Hannah

Jan 12, 2008
The following web site has some interesting information and perspectives:
http://www.fearlessflight.com/airplane-disasters-plane-crash-statistics[/url]

They don't quote their sources, but some thought can verify that the basic premise is correct. Sure, he may "always" see news of a plane crash tragedy, but even if there is a new one every day (which I'm pretty sure there is not), the number of airplane flights each day worldwide is a really large number (I'd estimate it in the thousands... indeed, the following source seems to suggest that domestic flights in the USA alone number around 27,000 per day)... so flying is probably statistically safer than driving.

(Of course, this isn't meant to trivialize the emotions involved... seeing such tragedies certainly is scary, and makes me wary of flying soon after them... though I often find that repeating to myself that it is statistically unlikely helps, but that's just me).

ejtilton

Jan 17, 2008
Burbank, CA
sometimes you can walk away from a plane crash - so to speak...
A friend of mine who is a pilot was forced to crash-land a plane in a river. He walked away. Airplanes are wonderfully designed flying machines - even if there is a malfunction of the electronics, it can stay aloft long enough to find a safe landing.

Commercial pilots go through a LOT of training to get licenses, and many many hours of practice to even get hired by a commercial airline. THEN, they are placed in secondary command of a flight. A flight captain has many many years of experience and seniority, and must participate in on-going training. They are screened for health and vision and are required to retire by age 65. These are people who KNOW what they are doing.

I'm not saying that plane crashes don't happen, and that its not traumatic... But it isn't as common as some people are led to believe. It is more likely that you will die in a car wreck.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I think she's referring to a 747 not a commercial plane.
My son this morning asked if we could go to the White house (he's seven) I said we would have to go in a plane. I told him "what if it crashed" he said "do you not like planes" I said "not anymore, I've been on a few of them" and he said "did they crash?" hahaha I was like "ok good point!"
It is a very common fear. I've had panick attacks, I had to take a few xanax and put the air vent right at my face and hold a strangers hand. It was not being in control that I think scared me worse.
Plane crashes are not that common but when they do happen they are usually all fatal (that micro % scares me to death) I can see where he is coming from.
Watch the movie rain man...lol That would be me trying to get on a plane. :)

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
musicmom said:
I flew a few times but after the plane went down in the Everglades here and they left all those people down there I would NEVER fly again.
I passed up a free trip to Ireland. I knew I would have a panick attack. No, No, NO!!!!! Have someone drive him.

Stop thinking that just because you have issues, everyone else suffers from the same thing and needs to be handled the way you handle things.

People die in car wrecks too, but I'm sure you drive.

Maybe he just needs a little reassurance, that's all.

MadisonWorth

Jan 5, 2008
U.K
I agree! He just needs to be reassured. It's an important lesson- not allowing fear to cripple one's life. There are people who've travelled around the world pulling off stunts like sky diving and rafting only to come home and die of some virus. Life is about taking risks and staying cool.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm saying the child the OP was referring to probably has the same issues "not everyone" reread Fooser. It's not an "issue" its a fear of flying. Taking risks is fine..........but I think I'll learn from others mistakes and sit back and live!