16 yr old in Maryland...

blue_eye_devil

Jan 2, 2008
Hello Everyone,

I have some questions. My sister whom is 16 just moved in with me. Our mom lives in Texas. The way all of this happened is a tad long. About 2 weeks before christmas break she told that she was being molestated by her stepdad, and that it had been happening since she was 8. I spoke to her older brother who was just kicked out of the house this September (for no reason). He confirmed what my sister said was true. I am 24, and I consulted my grandparents and I came and got her and removed her from the home ASAP. She is now living with me in Maryland and the rest of my family - grandparents - are in mississippi.

I do not have custody of her yet. But I want/need to get her enrolled in school ASAP. My mom just sent me her birth certificiate and all her records so I have thoses. Here are my questions:

1. In the state of maryland can a 16 year old live with any family member she chooses?

2. Can I get her enrolled in school without being her guardian?

3. If I have to get guardianship first, Is there a way to get temporary guardianship, to get her in school?

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Sounds like your best bet is to talk to the school district, and then to an attorney, rather than to people on a message board.