20 month old still spoon feeding

brandnewparent

Feb 22, 2022
My son is 20 months old and we are still spoon feeding him for his major meals. He can eat on his own, so it is not a physical problem. We got into a bad habit and we are not sure how to break this. The reason we kept feeding him is because we are worried about him getting his nutrients and calories. On his own he only eats bread, sweets, fruit, yogurt, eggs and maybe a few others that I am forgetting, but very limited. On top of this we have gotten to a worse habit, of spoon feeding him while he is watching tv/youtube. We do this because otherwise he will reject the food we are giving him. We are not happy with this situation we are in, but we really want to change it. How can we get him to eat more types of food on his own? Does anyone have any suggestions of how to break these habits?

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
I think you need to work on one thing at a time. I think the videos should be the first to work on since, if he's not distracted with videos, he might have more interest playing with his food.

Was his doctor happy with his weight at the 18 month visit (if you had one)? If they are then I think follow the rule of thumb "if he's hungry he'll eat". Offer him food without videos, if he won't eat it, just try again later.