2yo can't go to bed without Mommy...

wilburnheroux

Jul 27, 2020
I have a 2 year old daughter and my wife is pregnant with our second one, due in April. My wife and I live in Japan, so things are culturally different than other places, but I hope someone can still help. The biggest cultural difference is that we all sleep in the same bed, which is often frowned upon in the west.

We haven't had any issues from bed-sharing, but I foresee an issue coming up soon. That is to say, when my wife goes into labor, she will be living in the hospital for 4 nights/5 days (again, different cultures), so I will be 100% responsible for our daughter. I think I can get by with most of the things our 2 year old needs, but I am worried about what happens when putting her to sleep.

I have tried to put her to bed without her mommy in the room many times, but she almost always cries and cries until my wife is next to her. I did successfully put her to bed one time, but she was practically falling asleep on her own, from being so sleepy already.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my daughter to sleep without her mommy in the apartment for the time she's in the hospital (and hopefully some afterwards too)?

We have no family or friends around here that can help, so it's just me. I'm sure it'll be different once we are home alone, but still tips wouldn't hurt. Thank you in advance.

busywittymom

Jun 17, 2020
India
Use a good baby massage oil ,that will help the baby sleep and also strengthen the baby's bones, preferably after a bath. I hope this helps!