2yr old talks more than my 3.5 yr old?...

ccgr

Banned
Jul 12, 2007
Has anyone else experienced this? I realize that there is a difference in personalities but I'm floored that my 2 year old daughter has about 95% of the vocabulary of my 3.5 year old. It makes me wonder if my 3.5 year old is meeting all the milestones, I know she's smart and can express herself but she's not very outgoing.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Every child is different. My neighbor's 4 year old talks less than my 18 month old.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
its noraml. My dd is also 2 and talks about the same as 3 year olds that I know. Just some kids pick up on language faster. Does not make them smarter just more talkative! lol

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
All kids are different, and it could be completely normal, but follow your parenting instincts. If you're concerned, then it certainly wouldn't hurt to have your older child's speech and language development evaluated. If you're in the US, public school systems will do evaluations for free starting at age 3.

This is a helpful and informative web site:
Speech and language development in infants and young children Caroline Bowen

FWIW, my DS was speaking very clear sentences at 2. DD started talking a little later, but even so, something didn't seem "right" to me, despite the fact everyone around us told us she was fine. We had her speech evaluated at 3 and my concerns were confirmed. Although she had a very large vocabulary for her age, her articulation skills were delayed. She went to speech therapy from age 3-6, and blossomed from a shy leg hugger to a social, chatty butterfly. Currently 9, you would never know she ever needed help with speech.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I agree it. Every child starts talking at different times. My 19 month old doesn't talk near as much as my 2 1/2 yr. old did when she was her age. My 2 1/2 yr. old can talk, lol! My older 2 didn't talk nearly as soon as her. I do think it has to do with how many siblings there are. I think the younger ones did things faster than the older ones just to try to keep up with them.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Sometimes I think *just what I think* that the second child goes quicker so they can keep up with their sibling.

But all children go at different paces. It doesn't mean she's not making milestones...just doesn't want to talk as much as her sister.

Something that we've talked about work. The second daughter is always the wild one. That's just whenever we talk about our girls and ourselves.