3 month old boy inconsolable at night...

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
We have a 3 month old son who seems to have developped something like 1 hour per day colic. It's almost like clockwork: at around 9:00pm, he becomes absolutely inconsolable - I mean it, nothing helps. And his cries are deafening - he's definitely got some good lungs. If we're lucky, we can get him to calm down by 10:00, maybe even go to sleep, but at other times it can go to 11:00 or 12:00. It only started happening about 2 weeks ago. Throughout the rest of the day, he's the happiest baby in the world. So go figure.

My wife and I figure it's just crankiness. Whatever it is, it's probably normal. Nevertheless, if there's anything we can do to subdue it, please let us know.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree with IADad, first check for any possible complications. One thing to consider would be ear infection - its almost impossible to tell without a doctor checking. Some kids also teeth this early, if you think that is a possibility you could try some teething tablets or rub his gums a little with your finger, putting a little pressure on them, maybe some infant Tylenol just to rule it out. For some reason when you get tired anything bothering you just intensifies that much more, so you might not notice the problem as much during the day. Also, any changes in his diet? That could contribute as well. Or if he is having a growth spurt, he might be hungrier? Have you tried giving him a little extra in his feeding before bed? Either way growing pains are uncomfortable.

Did you make sure he's not hot or cold? What happens if you walk around with him, bounce him, rock him? You could try swaddling him, some babies are soothed really well by that? If he might have a belly ache, you could hold him with your arm around his belly and him facing outward from you, and kind of walk around with him like that and kinda bouncing him? lol I had an insanely colicky baby, so I remember having tried it ALL. You could also try turning on some quiet music so he has something to listen to to distract him? What does he think of the swing?

There's lots of stuff to try, but sometimes babies are just cranky. Its so hard to tell what is bothering them! If only we could read their minds haha. If nothing else I remember getting a really good suggestion from someone (I think on this forum, a long time ago) about not getting frustrated. Its SO hard not to want to rip your hair out when your baby wont stop screaming those ear piercing screams and nothing you do helps. Someone said to pick up a couple pairs of ear plugs, and I have to agree. Just so while you're carrying him around and trying to console him and he's screaming in your face you've got those ear plugs in to muffle it. It doesn't cut the noise out completely, you can still hear everything, but its a lot less painful lol. It can take the edge off of the frustrating screaming. I wish I had tried it with DS.

Good luck, and don't worry its only a phase and you'll be past it before you know it (of course there will always be something else lol). :)

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
Thanks both. Yeah, we've tried each and every one of those suggestions... except checking for an ear infection. Might be worth a shot. I know his older sister of 2 1/2 yrs has been fighting ear infections on and off for the past 6 months or so. I don't think it's contageous though.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
detty said:
Thanks both. Yeah, we've tried each and every one of those suggestions... except checking for an ear infection. Might be worth a shot. I know his older sister of 2 1/2 yrs has been fighting ear infections on and off for the past 6 months or so. I don't think it's contageous though.
ear infections in and of themselves aren't contagious, but sometimes an ear infection is brought on by other illnesses or allergies...so this time of year can be pretty common. The reason they can be more bothhersome at night is with their heads back it puts more pressure on the ear canal, so a lot of times it's right when you lay them down, othertimes not until they've been down for a while, and kids aren't always feverish becasue of it, so it's best to just tell your dr about your situation and you want to rule out ear infection (and if you're right you'll look so smart to them....;-) )

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
The fact that it is so regular suggests it is probably some sort of colic, but does he throw his head back when he does it? My cousin is a pediatrician. She says that babies get a sort of acid reflux. This also leads to ear infections. I can't remember the details, but apparantly in some huge percentage of children, stomach enzymes or bacteria are found in the inner ear, proving acid reflux and that there is a connection between the inner ear and the esophagus.

Anyway, she suggested giving the baby something for it. It has been over 4 years, so I can't remember which brand, but I don't think it was a special baby brand of maalox type meds. I would give my daughter a couple of tablespoons of whatever it was after feeding her. It seemed to help, but, fortunately, she stopped the screaming at about 8 weeks.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I think everyone has given some good suggestions.

It sounds like colic to me also especially since it happens at about the same time every night.

Have you tried Tylenol/ibuprofen right before the witching hour? There are also a few products that I know people have had great success with...Gripe water, that's easier to find on-line but a lot more stores are carrying it and then there's Mylacon gas drops for infants this was a life saver with 2 of mine.

Beyond those few things it will get better most babies do outgrow it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree I have also heard good things about those two products. Also, my sister was given some kind of drops by her DS's doctor that were specifically for colic. I really don't know what they were called, but you could mention it to your doctor and ask if they have anything - tell him you heard somebody else got drops of some sort. He'll probably know what you're talking about. My sister said they worked like a miracle.

Benjamin Marsh

May 21, 2011
Cary, NC
Could it be gas? My girl used to get gas at the same time every night. With a bit of firm back-patting it would work out.

I survived with Shure in-ear headphones. Great for plane rides too!

mrsims31

PF Regular
May 19, 2011
mom2many said:
...and then there's Mylacon gas drops for infants this was a life saver with 2 of mine.
My daughter went through this when she was a baby. Try holding them slightly in the air horizontally with your hands supporting their belly (like they're flying lol... easier to do if you're lying down on your back and holding them above you). If the natural pressure on their stomach seems to help ease their pain, then run yourself straight to the store for these drops. I'm no expert, but this was my experience. They are indeed a life saver when the situation calls for it. Ended all our troubles in that area.

umerch260

May 24, 2022
For the last 40 days ( give the option of taking) Your baby was the security of a warm, secure place to call home in your womb and now they need to adapt to life outside. It’s an extremely stressful experience for a baby, to put it mildly. Like the bone they depend on for everything, you ’ll want to make this change as easy as you can This is the reason you may be suitable to wrap your child. for more details read: When to Stop Swaddling Your Baby and How to Transition Out of the Swaddle