3 year old son avoids father

tired_momma

Jan 11, 2021
My husband and I are still married and live in the same home. Our son has taken to avoiding him lately though I am don't know why. When we are all home together it does not seem to be as much of an issue. My son and his father will spend time together playing and watching tv but for bigger things such as meal time, bath, bedtime and taking him to school my son refuses to do it with my husband, to the point that he screams and cries and says I don't want daddy. He will delay all activities by saying he wants to give me hugs and flailing when he can't. Sometimes I can't even leave the house with out my son screaming he doesn't want to stay with daddy and cries for me to take him. Between the two of us I am much more affectionate with our son. I will give him hugs and kisses on the cheek and also sit with him on the couch cuddle up under a blanket. I tend to discipline my son more but my husband is much more stern and strict. I assume our relationships with our son affects how he reacts to us but I am not sure how to fix it.

The struggle is getting more and more difficult. How do I fix it? Or am I just overreacting?

Last edited:

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope a more experienced person with a kid that age replies but my intuition is telling me that your son is going through a phase. I remember reading in psychology that young boys tend to favor their mothers and young girls favor their fathers.

tired_momma

Jan 11, 2021
Thank you for your reply. I hope it’s a phase. While difficult it is much easier to live through. And I just need to tough it out. I just always worry that I’m missing something as a parent. First time mom fears.

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
Same here! When my little girl is going through things like that I hope you'll still be around to instill the experience you go through. :)