3 Year old - WON'T EAT! HELP!...

mixerbach

Sep 29, 2009
I'm about at my wit's end. My daughter turned 3 in August and over the past few months seems to be eating prgressively less and less. Over the last couple weeks its been like pulling teeth to get her to eat ANYTHING that isn't complete junk (cookies, candy, etc.)

The only way that she hasn't fallen over by now is the fact that she drinks LOTS of milk. I mean, LOTS of it. This is clearly where she's getting the bulk of her energy, but you can hardly call it balenced.

At her three-year check up, my wife and I mentioned this trend to her doctor. He was not concerned in the least and said that she would just grow out of it.

We're considering taking the milk away and offering it as a reward for eating something even remotely good for her. Are we overeacting? Are we under-reacting? I'm just hoping someone else out there has been through this and can offer some advice!

:veryconfused:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well, I'm not sure but my son is the same way. He barely eats a thing (unless its some kind of junk) and he drinks tons and tons of milk, and I give him juice as well. I try to give him like the V8 V-fusion stuff, which is fruit and veggie juice and he likes that. But I don't think its that big of a deal unless you notice her losing weight or taking on any kind of health problems that may be related to nutrition. TONS of kids go through this, its SUPER common. I say listen to your doctor, its not too huge of a deal and she will probably grow out of it. She'll be okay, there's no need to stress over it or punish her for it. Toddlers like to be picky, and from what I hear trying to make it a big deal will make them eat even less. I tried lessening his milk intake for about two weeks and not only did he not eat any better whatsoever, but he actually LOST weight because I did that. I haven't bothered with it since. I'm not worried, I know someday he'll be asking for steak and potatoes.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
<r>BTDT with both my kids. Very common. I've learned the trick is not to have junk food in the house, other than for an occasional treat, and just continue to offer healthy meals and snacks. She will eat when she's hungry. Watch what she eats over a weeks time vs. daily. My DD used to eat what seemed like hardly anything at all for several days and then chow like a horse. Our ped. assured us this was normal. Also, don't make a big deal about it. Pressuring the issue of eating can actually make things worse by turning it into a power struggle. Offer healthy foods. If she eats, great, if not, no biggie. Our kids began to eat much better once we stopped pleading, begging and bribing, etc.. <br/>
<br/>
Sometimes reverse psychology works. LOL! I remember my DD asking what was for dinner. I matter of factly stated, "Oh, something awful that you're not going to like." At dinner I served everyone but her. She said, "Hey, what about me?!" I replied, "I know you're not going to like this. Are you sure you want to try it??" She confidently nodded her head, tried it and proudly exclaimed she liked it! *Giggle* Score one for the parents! LOL! <br/>
<br/>
I would try to lessen her milk intake, but would not substitute with juice. Milk is far more nutritionally valuable than juice. Even 100% juice has a lot of sugar in it. <br/>
<br/>
A good article from Baby Center dot com:<br/>
<br/>
<B><s></s><COLOR color="blue"><s></s>Is it normal that my big kid hardly seems to eat anything?<e></e></COLOR><e></e></B><br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<B><s></s><COLOR color="blue"><s></s>Expert Answers<e></e></COLOR><e></e></B><br/>
<br/>
<COLOR color="blue"><s></s>Melanie Shay, registered dietitian <e></e></COLOR><br/>
<COLOR color="blue"><s></s>As long as your child is growing normally, she's most likely okay, even if she doesn't seem to be eating enough. The truth is, it's quite common for children at this age to have trouble sitting still for meals, to eat irregularly, and to be very picky about what they will eat.<e></e></COLOR><br/>
<br/>
<COLOR color="blue"><s></s>You may be tempted to try to force your child to eat more, but don't: The more pressure you put on her, the more she'll resist and the less she'll eat. Instead, offer her a range of healthy foods, eat them yourself so you're setting a good example, and then sit back and let her choose what she wants to eat, and how much. Don't worry — she won't starve. A recent study from the American Dietetic Association showed that nearly all children will eat enough to meet their nutritional needs when they have access to a variety of foods, even those whose mothers described them as extremely picky eaters.<e></e></COLOR><br/>
<br/>
<COLOR color="blue"><s></s>The important thing to remember is that normal growth is the best indicator of adequate nutrition, so if your child is maintaining adequate growth in both height and weight (which your doctor can help you determine), then she is getting plenty of calories. Talk to your child's doctor at the next well-child visit (or make an appointment before then if you're really concerned) to confirm that your child is growing at the expected rate.<e></e></COLOR><br/>
<br/>
<COLOR color="blue"><s></s>While your child may be getting enough calories to grow, you may be worried that she's not getting these calories from the right sources. So you may want to record what your child eats for about a week (without making a big deal about it in front of her). Then you can use the Food Guide Pyramid (link shown at Baby Center dot com) to help you assess her eating. You'll probably find that she's eating better than you thought. If she seems deficient in any one food group, try offering more foods from that group for a while. If that doesn't work, you can always ask your pediatrician to recommend an appropriate multivitamin to help meet your child's nutritional needs.<e></e></COLOR></r>