3 yo won’t stop waking in the middle of the night- help!...

Nocando

Jun 14, 2020
On his 3rd birthday our 3 yo started climbing out of his crib and coming to wake us at all hours of the night. We transitioned to a toddler bed and the night waking continued. We have tried everything, though admittedly not as disciplined as possible. We have a toddler alarm clock/light that’s supposed to tell them when its ok to get out of bed. We have a white noise machine that he’s had for years. We have a night light. We have tried a few techniques (including installing a baby gate so he can’t leave his room, going back and tucking him in again and even climbing into bed and sleeping with him, a night time check list, etc) and through considerable research it seems the best course of action is to let him cry it out. So we’ve made sloppy attempts at this the last couple of nights. But his room is right next to ours so when he cries we hear it loud and clear. And it’s horrific. He can scream for over an hour. He starts out crying that he needs to pee (we are also potty training because his P school requires it). So I get up to let him pee (even though he has a night diaper on) but he doesn’t actually have to pee, I think it’s just a tactic to get out of the room. I put him back to bed with stern instructions not to leave again and five minutes later he is at his door screaming at the top of his lungs. Only now he says he has to poop. I’ve fallen for that as well, thinking he was going to be traumatized if he was forced to poop in his diaper. But alas he doesn’t actually have to poop. And so on this progresses, each time he finds something else to cry about, whether it’s the alarm clock or he eats our help picking up the mess of toys he made, etc. Listening to him scream is literally killing me, I feel like I haven’t slept in two months (since this started), and I’m pregnant, due to give birth in ~six weeks. Please give me some advice, I am desperate and will try anything. Do we just break down and let him sleep on a pallet on our floor when he wakes at 3 am? Do we send my husband to go sleep with him? Do we keep trying the cry it out method? I admit we haven’t done the best attempt at this, but it’s soul crushing to hear him scream and I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. My husband does not want to start the habit of letting him sleep in our room and I completely understand the logic behind this (especially since we’re about to have a newborn in there with us) but I don’t know what else to do and feel that I really need a full nights sleep more than anything else at this point. But I also realize that it is in our best interest to fix this before the new baby comes. I am also genuinely concerned about the toll this will have on my pregnancy and baby. We are all of us traumatize by these night time wakings and screaming, even the dog, and so far we haven’t made any progress and truthfully it seems like it’s getting worse. Please help!