6 year old won't go to sleep in her room....

Walsh984

Dec 1, 2015
My 6 year old daughter will not go to sleep in her own room, she straight up refuses to even try. Every night she comes up with a reason to not want to go to sleep in her own room. So every night my wife allows her to go to sleep in our room, she doesn't even ask her to try and do it. This has been going on now for almost a year and has caused some problems between my wife and I. And now it is starting to affect our 2 1/2 year old son. He sees his sister go to sleep in mommy and daddy's room every night and is wanting to do the same.
Please help!! I am getting very frustrated with the whole situation and don't know what to do anymore. I keep trying to tell my wife that this is not doing anything to help, its only going to hurt her in the long run but it keeps getting ignored. I could really use some with trying to figure this out.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I used to do the same thing when my daughter was young when I didn't want any intimacy with my spouse. I just gave in to whatever excuse she came up with. Quite frankly, I enjoyed cuddling with her in bed more than him because I could just relax. It ticked him off, but I was just tired.
At some point kids just don't feel comfortable sleeping in their rooms. Especially if they watched or read something scary or disturbing. It may not even be that obvious to you. It could be a fairy tale, cartoon. Maybe a scary preview to a movie. Or maybe they are just having some attachment issues. Starting school for the first time will do it. Or suddenly starting daycare or anything taking more time away from the parents.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I won't be a lot of help cause I am a co-sleeper. I have done it with all 8 of mine, and I just don't make a big deal of a kid sleeping with me, nor does my husband. I have to ask but what exactly is your complaint about her sleeping in there?

One thing you can consider is instead of letting DD sleep in your bed, she can sleep on a pallet on the floor net to the bed. I'll be honest but it wasn't unusual for me to wake up to a sick teen sleeping on my floor. I comforted them, and they didn't wake me, so no big deal.

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
I don't see any harm in having the kids sleep in the parent's room, but if it happens night after night, I think that can be a problem. You need some privacy and intimacy, imo. You're not getting that if the kids sleep in the room every single night.

Talk to your wife. Tell her ignoring the problem is not an option. It might not be a problem to her, but if it is a problem to you, then there is a problem that needs to be worked out, period. Let her know exactly that... you have a problem with it, you're parents, you're in this together, if one parent has a problem, it needs to be discussed and a solution needs to be found.