7.5 month old turning head from side to side repeatedly...

NiallNai

PF Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
About three days ago, my son started to have brief instances of turning his head from side to side, as though he was vigorously gesturing "no."

Today, my wife was concerned enough that she brought him to the pediatrician to check for an ear infections (he had slide in the tub the day before this started and we thought he might have gotten water in his ear).

The doctor said that it wasn't an ear infection but it might be due to teething. I know I've read some stories on the internet about infants doing this sort of behavior. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience with their child.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I think it can be perfectly normal for htem to that at this age. He has just learned how to really control his head well. its a new experience and probably gets your attention

Nicolel0929

Jan 3, 2008
New York
My son did it too. He is perfectly fine. Now he is 14 months and I swear he does it to be funny. He will just walk around and do it sometimes but laugh too. I wouldnt be concerned.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Logan does it when his teeth are really bugging him...almost like he's trying to shake the pain away...lol

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I agree it can be teething and when he moves his head he can feel the pain so it feels funny to him. Try giving him Motrin, it's an anti-inflamatory and Tylonol is not. It may help him. :)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I didn't like giving motrin at that age. I personally didn't feel comfortable with it till she was 1. BUt teething rings are good, I also didn't like oragel

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
The child is almost eight months old? What do you think the hospital gives them? Motrin and larger doses then is recommended on the bottle. There is nothing wrong with Motrin and is totally safe.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Asprin can cause Reyes Syndrome and Steven Johnson syndrome which are deadly. If you can prevent using asprin on small children you should do so.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
The child is almost eight months old? What do you think the hospital gives them? Motrin and larger doses then is recommended on the bottle. There is nothing wrong with Motrin and is totally safe.
did I say something was wrong with Motrim? No I sai di was not comfotable using such a stron medication on my child till she was 1. Regardless if "they" say it is fine. They say a lot of things are fine that I don't agree with.
Motrim is for children over 6 months of age and a certain weight!!! You are suppose to go by weight not age!!! My cvhild was not at the weight till way over 12 months old so I felt tylonal was a better choice.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Motrin on the bottle is recommended a certain way. Dr's still use it on infants.
You have your panties in a wad Kaytee. Why are you being so defensive? I was only stating a fact that Mortin is an anti-inflamatory and Tylonol is not.
You can pick and chose whatever you'd like...it's your child not mine.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
ummm..... I just said that I didn't like motrim for HER under 1. Nothing else. Who's getting defensive. Besides if your doc uses it on a child under 6 months, then that's your doctor. Most docs do not use or reccomend Motrim for teething babies under 6 months of age. Again what does that have to do with me not wanting to give it my child under 1?

NiallNai

PF Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
I just wanted to thank everyone who responded. As a first time parent, some of the things they do can drive you nuts. Even if you tell yourself that it's probably just normal behavior and a part of their experiencing the world. Even being a school psychologist and having a lot of education in human growth and development doesn't help and, in some cases, makes it worse.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I know what you mean. Sometimes it hard not to look for the worst instead of the normal!
Hope you continue to post here!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I have no idea what you are talking about Kaytee (I didn't say anything about your daughter:rolleyes: ). It wasn't my Dr. who gave it to my child it was an ER Dr.
Kaytee said:
ummm..... I just said that I didn't like motrim for HER under 1. Nothing else. Who's getting defensive. Besides if your doc uses it on a child under 6 months, then that's your doctor. Most docs do not use or reccomend Motrim for teething babies under 6 months of age. Again what does that have to do with me not wanting to give it my child under 1?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I didn't like giving motrin at that age. I personally didn't feel comfortable with it till she was 1. BUt teething rings are good, I also didn't like oragel
that is what I said. You then freaked out about an er doc giving Motrim. I'm sorry I don't like to give my daughter Motrim when she is young.