7 Year Old Girl Severely Struggling in School...

greenbaymom

Dec 17, 2007
Hi! I have a 7 year old little girl who has been struggling in school for the past 2 years. She is currently behind in both reading and math and I believe she is dylexic. Unfortunately, in order to get her tested for dyslexia I would need to pay $1500 and we can not afford to do so. I am looking for other parents who have dyslexic children and can give me some tips on helping her. She is in 2nd grade and is still working on 1st grade math and reading. I work with her constantly at home but she tends to get frustrated very easily and she wants to give up. If you have any tips, ideas or suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
hi and welcome. I am sorry your daughter is having issues in school.
I don not have a child with dyslexia but two of my brothers have it. Both in different ways. Thats the problem with not getting help. You need to learn how your child is seeing the words. my one brother flips things, words letters numbers whatever, my other brother used to read in a tunnel. Like if he was looking at a page like this

aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa

he would see

aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaa
aaaa
a

kinda thing

i would talk to the school and your local health department. I am sure there is a state funded place you can take your daughter to be tested.

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
Is there any chance she needs glasses. I've known a kid who was doing very poorly in school til they figured out she couldn't see the board!