8 year old always late for school in the morning...

c0193241

Nov 30, 2007
Indiana
My 8 years old is always late or almost late for school. One of strategies I tried is to turn the clock 10 minutes earlier. It worked only for a week untill she fund the truth. Then it became even worse - she didn't believe the clock any more. "The time is wrong" she responsed when I reminded her about time.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
personally I would wake her up an hour early everyday...remind her that when she learns to manage her time better she can get some extra sleep but it is very important to be on time for things so for now she'll just have to wake up earlier

SammiesMom

PF Regular
Dec 12, 2007
Niles, OH
When it's time to get Sam up for school, I'll go in his room and turn his favorite cartoon on. Once he hears the theme song going, he usually springs right up.

Then we just have to battle to get him away from the TV to get ready. haha

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
How about a squirt gun with ice cold water in it?
I guess I'm lucky. I just go in their rooms and rub their backs and say "wake up baby, time for school" I know sappy. hehehe

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I've been through this with both my kids, more so DD. They are now pretty self sufficient when getting ready for school, but I still need to watch the clock and keep them on track with reminders. I've found it helps a great deal not toallow TV, PC or video games until they are totally ready for school. That gives them an incentive to get ready, but then we had to battle with turning off the TV/PC/video game when it was time to go. A new rule was created: If the TV/PC/video game interferes with getting to school on time they will NOT be allowed at all before school. Being consistent and enforcing this rule was key. Things have been pretty much smooth sailing on school mornings around here.

Oh, almost forgot... DD went through a phase when she really dragged her feet. I had to say, "If you're not dressed when it's time to go, you're going to school in your PJs." One time she was still in her PJs when DS and I got into the van and were getting ready to leave. She came running out all upset wearing her PJs with backpack, clothes and shoes in hand. I drove to school and she had to change in the van in the parking lot at school. She has always been ready on time ever since. :)

wildrose

PF Regular
Oct 28, 2007
My son is 9 and very good about getting up and ready for school with very little help. A few things I think help with that are:
1. No TV/Video Games/Computer in the morning.
2. I know how fast he moves in the morning and have set a wake up time that gives enough time for him to get ready without rushing.
3. Early bedtime. My son wakes up easily and has energy to burn because even at 9, he goes to bed at 7:30pm. I know it sounds really early but he needs almost 12 hours of sleep, so I make sure he gets it. (By the way, all children at that age need 11-12hours of sleep.)

Good luck. Above all be consistant.

Scott W

Jan 6, 2008
Minnesota
Don't be afraid to let your child's school know that your child is intentionally late for school. Many schools have some positive answers to share with you regarding this issue. Children need to learn at a young age that being late to school is not an option, but against the law. Parents who want their child to get to school on time are not held responsible; the child is.

Visit <SIZE size="175">ScottCounseling.com <SIZE size="100">for more parenting articles and read the article: My Child is Late in the Elementary Section.

SW :)
</SIZE>
</SIZE>