9 year old asking about puberty...

zeina

Sep 26, 2009
Hi Everyone,
First of all, I'm a new member here in this forum. My name is Zeina Abi Ghosn.

I do not have kids, but I have a 9& half year old cousin named Mona. Her mother passed away when she was 2 years old, and she is currently living with my grandmother who doesn't answer any of her questions about puberty & the changes she's going through. So you guys could imagine she has no one to turn to except me.

Mona has been recently asking about bra's & when her breasts will develop, I've been explaining to her step by step over the years. Now her body is changing fast...
Few days ago I felt she was freaking out about when she's gona get her period & what happens then & why? & what if she gets her period she doesnt know what to do?
So I got her an educational video to watch about what happens in a girl's body during puberty, she understood it, we paused some places where she needed to ask questions which is good.

I kept repeating to her that what she's experiencing is normal, and not to worry, also most importantly that she's not alone in this process because she seemed really scared.

I offered to go shopping with her someday to get her stuff that she needs, I also encouraged her to write in her diary if she has any questions for me, since I do not live with her, but I see her often.
I also asked her not to discuss this with anyone else since they could give her the wrong information, (she already was misinformed) & i didnt want her to go through that panic again!!

So guys I'm kind of lost of what the next step should be...She's been calling me tooooooooooooooooooooooooo much & asking questions I've been answering short & brief so I won't give her too much to handle!!!!

Anyway, I found a list of books about this subject, which I'll get her soon.
But still how can I show her she's not alone in this?? & how much info. should I be giving her at her age?

Thanks
Regards,
Zeina

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Hi, Zeina! WELCOME to PF!

Your niece is blessed to have you to explain all this to her. I'm going through this with my DD now. She has been asking lots of questions and I've explained what to expect so that she doesn't freak out when they happen. (Like I did as a tween. LOL!) A book that has been VERY helpful is:
<U>The Care &amp; Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls</U>
(American Girl Library)

My DD has a couple friends who have already started their periods. They all chat about it, and I think that's perfectly normal, but yes, they do need resources for accurate information.

zeina

Sep 26, 2009
Hi Trina,
Nice to meet you!
How old is ur daughter?
I saw that book on google &amp; amazon.com, don't know if we have it in Lebanon. But I'll look for it anyway it seems like a great book.

Mona was discussing it with older girls &amp; they must have given her some wrong info. That's why I told her to come to me, for questions and stuff!

Today Mona seems calmer!:yes: She's been calling me everyday since she began asking those questions! I saw other cool books on the net also "Ready, Set, Grow!" just hope I find them!<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
My daughter turned 11 this past June. She's small for her age but puberty has begun.

zeina

Sep 26, 2009
God bless her!!
Do they stay close to u at 11? I hope Mona
will remain close!! I know I'd never leave her!!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Just wanted to say good luck, and you're doing an amazing job already!! Keep it up! You're a great cousin, she's so very lucky to have you. :)

zeina

Sep 26, 2009
Thanks Xero for the comment!!! Mona's brother who is now 11 asked some questions few months ago I was able to answer it was easier with him. Yet he has my grandmother's support in everything that's why he wasn't freaking out!!
It seems that my grandmother is old fashioned she gives the boy more attention than the girl. I guess that's what Mona was most scared of, my grandma's reaction!

Today is her first day in grade 4, can't wait till she comes back &amp; tells me all about it!!
Here are few pics of her, she was younger!!

The one of her with the doggy is recent!
Hope u like them!
Thanks again,
ZeinaView attachment n721095152_1567051_5266.jpgView attachment DSCF3316.JPGView attachment n721095152_2211613_3511.jpgView attachment DSCF4923.JPGView attachment Mona (11).JPG

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
zeina said:
God bless her!!
Do they stay close to u at 11? I hope Mona
will remain close!! I know I'd never leave her!!

Actually she's starting to give me more eye rolls but that's all par for the course. LOL! I've learned that when she asks me to help her clean her room that's her code meaning she wants to talk privately with me about something, usually girly issues.

zeina

Sep 26, 2009
Trina said:
Actually she's starting to give me more eye rolls but that's all par for the course. LOL! I've learned that when she asks me to help her clean her room that's her code meaning she wants to talk privately with me about something, usually girly issues.

ooooh how sweet that she asks u for help!!
yea the eye rolls Mona does that, with the "DUUUH" loool but when she's talking to my mum or when I'm asking her to be nice to a girl she doesn't like at school. But still I find her taking my advice often :wacko:

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
zeina said:
Here are few pics of her, she was younger!!

The one of her with the doggy is recent!
Hope u like them!
Thanks again,
Zeina
Beautiful girl!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yes, she is very beautiful! :) Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. She's a cutie pie.