A Little Help Please...

paruchan

Mar 30, 2008
Philippines
Hello again! Shaun's doing great and he's finally starting to expand his vocabulary! But now he's become more and more active, I don't know where he gets his energy from! It seems he never gets tired! My problem is how to discipline him at this stage since he now understands how appliances operate--if he wants to listen to music he would point to the dvd player, if we don't turn it on, he would try to turn it on himself (he knows how to power it on)! Of course that's not a good idea, because he has to stand on a chair to do so (he can do it but I'm so afraid he might have an accident!)... And of course the dangers of electricity is there! Now if he was able to finish an entire vcd and still wants more he would have a tantrum so we usually give in for a second vcd, but after that and we tell him that's enough for today, he would throw a bigger tantrum (he is just doing this we observed because he now understands that that is the way he would get what he wants)! Any suggestions on how I should discipline him at this stage?

By the way sometimes we play his favorite vcd of kids' songs more than 5 times a day! He is so into it, he dances and sings along! But I know too much exposure to tv is bad! He has his time outdoors and he runs and plays a lot but every time he's inside he insists on listening to his cds... Is this bad?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well I think you have to stick to your guns that is the most important thing. You have to tell him no more, and mean it!!!

paruchan

Mar 30, 2008
Philippines
do you think it's ok if we let him cry for more than 15 minutes so we can teach him when is enough? i'm just worried he'll catch a cold or too much crying could trigger his asthma... his dad and i talked about it, and we understand that we need to be firm in order to teach him discipline... we must not give in to every thing he wants... have you experienced this stage too? my heart breaks whenever his tears are overflowing... :eek:

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
All typical toddler behavior. Childproofing helps, and so does choosing your battles. Getting into the stereo system is a no-no, but I see no harm in letting him listen to music and singing and dancing over and over again. It's good exercise, music is educational, and the activity may even help him sleep better. Toddlers have short attention spans. A firm, "No," and redirecting him to a different, interesting activity is worth trying if/when he's getting into trouble.

Lots of helpful info here:
Topics for Toddler - BabyCenter

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well there is a big difference in crying for 15 minutes because he can't get what he wants and crying because you is alone. Most children are not going ot just scream for 15 minutes when you are trying to redirect him. He is not being bad by touching the stereo, its just not for him to touch right then.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I would continue to tell him no and move him away from it...with logan (he's 13months) I tell him "don't touch" in very stern voice and then I move him away from it and give him something he can touch. If he goes back to it and touches it again I tell him agian very stern and I take is hand in mine and pat it...not smack or hit...as I say touching so he understands what I mean by touching. If he cries when he is redirected I let him but it usually only lasts a couple minnutes and then he's off to cause trouble somewhere else

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
What Fallon said is very importnat. Kids of all ages tune out no very quickly. So tell them what they can do!!!

paruchan

Mar 30, 2008
Philippines
hmm, i'll try those! thanks! we usually try to get his attention to something else like "do you want a cookie" or "let's see who's outside", or "let's play with your toys", etc. he usually cries for 10-15 minutes and still keeps on pointing towards the dvd player... what we do right now is bring him upstairs in order to keep the dvd away from his sight...

i guess, it's just a stage, but we really need to teach him discipline so he can carry it on as he grows up... thanks so much for your advise! please let me know if you have other suggestions :)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
i guess, it's just a stage, but we really need to teach him discipline so he can carry it on as he grows up...
don't worry about taching discipline, that is not what is importnat. You are teaching him love and respect. He may not get his way all the time, but you don't have to discipline for this type of behavior. Its just annoying lol.