A person next to you is smelly. Do you say anything?...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
lol I unfortunately don't have the power to say anything to most people. I think the only person I would be comfortable with saying that to would be my husband. "Ew you stink, go take a shower" haha. But I have literally been in this situation with a co-worker before and couldn't say anything. I just feel bad! I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. :( But as far as I know, a lot of people complained to my managers about her and they had to say something to her about it (what a terrible part of being a manager lol)!

I still work with her but thank god her personal hygeine habbits have changed a lot since she lost a lot of weight.

You know what I really hate? When you can tell that someone doesn't brush their teeth. That makes me seriously want to throw up. I might go as far with those kinds of people as to say "Want a piece of gum?" :D

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Depends on how well I know them. Family and friends I have no problem telling to go take a shower. However I could never do that to a stranger.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Well I wouldn't know as I have no sense of smell, but I have in the past advised people to see a hygienist after seeing the state of their teeth. If you have brown marks in between your teeth you are vile and need to be told!

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
quote from that other forum (translation may be not of a good quality):

The boss was stinky. People would open a window in the office to have some fresh air. Once the boss asked:
"Why do you keep opening that window?"
People:
"Well, somebody in here smells badly and needs a bath."
Boss:
"If SOMEBODY in here needs a bath, why do I have to freeze?"

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Oooo! A tricky one! If it's someone I know, that I'm comfortable with, I'd tell them. If it was a co-worker, I'd say something to the supervisor (stinky people are not good for retail business or for a good office environment) and let them handle it. If it was the boss...and I couldn't go to a higher up, well, I think I'd have to slip them an anonymous note or speak to someone whom I know is close to them and see if they can gently bring it up. A lot of times the 'offender' cannot even smell their own odor so they are often times completely unaware of it. It's hard to bring it up without causing the person an extreme amount of embarrassment.

But, if someone forgot to zip their pants, or they have something hanging out of their nose, well, I tell them whether I know them or not. I would hope someone would do the same for me!!! If it's someone I don't know, and it's a nose issue, I hand them a tissue and say in a whisper, "wipe your nose honey".

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
It really depends. If I work with that person I would rather tell them than have someone else do it because I know I'd be more gentle. lol

If I didn't know the smelly one, I'd just get away from them asap not not say anything.

I did have a doctor once who came from another country where they didn't use deodorant that was rough, I stopped going to her.

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
Personally I'd probably say something. Depending on who it was I might try to be funny about it and cover my nose and just say to everyone around "Whose the shmuck who doesn't believe in deodorant?" And if I knew who it was, I'd just be courteous as possible and whisper to them "I don't mean to be rude, but when was the last time you had a shower?"
Not saying something doesn't fix anything. A lot of people these days wouldn't say anything because they are afraid of upsetting someone. But if you just leave it to someone else, then it might not get done and the individual will never know about their abhorring and extremely potent B.O. Forgive the pun but "Its a messy job and someone has to do it".