A world without sidewalk chalk?...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
<t>Summer for kids means many different things. For the young it involves a survival kit that comes out only once a year. In this kit are items like bubbles and sand buckets, pools and Slip 'N Slides, finger paints and sidewalk chalk. That is of course unless you live in a small town in Colorado, where the home owners association has decided to put a temporary ban on sidewalk chalk.<br/>
<br/>
Why? Their concern is that the art is distracting and disruptive to neighbors. I have to admit, I don’t get it. Sure it’s a little colorful and I can even see it being distracting, but disruptive to neighbors? There is no noise involved while a child sits on the ground and thinks about what their next work of art is going to be about. There is no noise involved as little hands draw out their latest creations. Compared to many other summertime activities, this one seems pretty mild.<br/>
<br/>
If they want to start banning things that are disruptive I can think of many other summer activities that would fit the bill. How about basketball? That orange ball can make a lot of noise as it hits the ground and the backboard of the net. Then there’s water activities. We all know that water plus kids equals a lot of noise: their squeals of delight can be quite deafening at times!<br/>
<br/>
I could see the home owners associations' point if we were talking about little kids roaming the neighborhood with cans of spray paint. Now that would be a reason to complain! But unlike spray paint, sidewalk chalk is completely washable. So I ask again, what’s the big deal?<br/>
<br/>
With sidewalk chalk, every day is a new day and a new canvas. Is really that harmful to anyone? Who exactly is it distracting and disrupting? If it’s that bothersome to you, maybe you should stay off your neighbor's property. Problem solved. <br/>
<br/>
Maybe it’s me, maybe I am missing something, but I am really not seeing the other side's perspective on this. So what about you? Where do you stand in this debate?</t>

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Not sure you thought this through M2M.

What if the neighbors kids were say Bugs Bunny offspring. And they were drawing big holes on the sidewalk. Or a train tunnel on the side of a big rock. Ohh I see the danger here. I have visions of all the adults standing in the middle of a big X: hypnotized by its image on the driveway. As a grand piano smashes them into oblivion.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
The HoA are idiots...let the kids play with sidewalk chalk and be kids...there are worse things they could be doing. They need to find something to pick on and this happens to be it...HoA's suck.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I think it's a pretty stupid move by the HOA, BUT - the people who moved here must have been well aware of the existence of an HOA, and no doubt one with some pretty stringent covenants in existence. The point of having a HOA and strict covenants is to maintain a certain character and quality of life. So, when you move there, you pretty much have to accept that you're not going to alter the exterior of your home in any way that's contrary to the current standard. Personal expression is pretty much confined to indoors.

So, do I think it's silly and short sighted, yes, but not at all surprising.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
bssage said:
Not sure you thought this through M2M.

What if the neighbors kids were say Bugs Bunny offspring. And they were drawing big holes on the sidewalk. Or a train tunnel on the side of a big rock. Ohh I see the danger here. I have visions of all the adults standing in the middle of a big X: hypnotized by its image on the driveway. As a grand piano smashes them into oblivion.
I have just snorted coffee all over my computer from laughing.

protectingtheus

Aug 18, 2012
I think this would be grounds to sell the house and move on. I want my kids to be able to express themselves and enjoy life. Limiting them from being artistic where they want to be is just damaging them.

kate49

Oct 22, 2012
I write as a parent and professional artist.
Preventing a child chalking on the sidewalk will not impair their artistic development!!
How about painting one of their bedroom walls in blackboard paint?
If that will hamper parent/child interaction a lounge or dining room could be given the same treatment,and become a design feature...an ever changing painting.
Children need to be taught respect and understanding of their boundaries.
The sidewalk is communal and public and helps set the tone for the neighbourhood.
A pleasant environment is important for all.
Your childs drawing is a work of art to you,but an eyesore to others.
It is wrong for children to think they can do as they choose,and parents should encourage them to express themselves on their own property,and respect the privacy of others.

protectingtheus

Aug 18, 2012
Why are we not allowed to let our children chalk on the sidewalk, but we're required to get the snow off it? To me it sounds like the sidewalk is mine, so they should be able to draw on it. Are we not allowed to draw on our driveway either?