adopted a Special Needs boy age 15...

sjacksun

Oct 12, 2013
Hes called Paul Blind in one eye. Has Dyslexia. And a bit of learning difficulties Noticed something worrying. Me and my doughtier Kerry and her 2 girls aged 3 and 6 Was in the car. With Paul after picking him up. We noticed a smell. Me and Kerry thought it was one of the girls. But it was Paul. He made a mess in his pants. He didn't say or asked. If he needed the bathroom - See more at:

Last edited by a moderator:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Silvia, welcome, if you have something to share or ask, please go ahead, but your link only went to another forum with the same exact post.

Welcome to our community if you wish to participate.

sjacksun

Oct 12, 2013
Just asking around see whats about. Dont put all your eggs in one basket lol
just seems strange why he did it
Could it be nerves scared or just done it for attention we asked him before we set off if he needed the bathroom he said no
should i consider diapers

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Does he have an established medical history? It would be useful to know if this is a regular occurrence or a one-time incident. I would hesitate to put a fifteen-year-old in diapers if he is not accustomed to wearing them or needing to. If he is ill or on certain antibiotics, this could be a short-term issue. If it's somewhat common, diapers might be a necessary option until you establish routines and identify any medical issues.

sjacksun

Oct 12, 2013
Basically This is whats the doctor said Copied it off the internet
Treatment is done in three phases:

The first phase involves emptying the rectum and colon of hard, retained poop. Different doctors might have different ways of helping kids with encopresis. Depending on the child's age and other factors, the doctor may recommend medicines, including a stool softener (such as mineral oil), laxatives, and/or enemas. (Laxatives and enemas should be given onlyunder the supervision of a doctor; never give these treatments at home without first checking with your doctor.) As unpleasant as this first step sounds, it's necessary to clean out the bowels to successfully treat the constipation and end your child's soiling.
After the large intestine has been emptied, the doctor will help the child begin having regular BMs with the aid of stool-softening agents, most of which aren't habit-forming. At this point, it's important to continue using the stool softener to give the bowels a chance to shrink back to normal size (the muscles of the intestines have been stretched out, so they need time to be toned without the poop piling up again). Parents will also be asked to schedule potty times twice daily after meals (when the bowels are naturally stimulated), in which the child sits on the toilet for about 5 to 10 minutes. This will help the child learn to pay attention to his or her own urges. It's especially helpful for parents to keep a record of their child's daily BMs.
As regular BMs become established, your doctor will reduce the child's use of stool softeners.
Keep in mind that relapses are normal, so don't get discouraged if your child occasionally becomes constipated again or soils his or her pants during treatment, especially when trying to wean the child off of the medications.
A good way to keep track of your child's progress is by keeping a daily poop calendar. Make sure to note the frequency, consistency (i.e., hard, soft, dry), and size (i.e., large, small) of the BMs.
Patience is the key to treating encopresis. It may take anywhere from several months to a year for the stretched-out colon to return to its normal size and for the nerves in the colon to become effective again.

Just wondering how long it would take. It seems like im ging to have to potty train him. Keep asking him

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I still feel like there must be a lot of background a don't know. Blinds in one eye, dyslexia and learning difficulties doesn't explain a 15 year old being unable to control his bowels, even if he had some digestive issues. Also, why was he up for adoption? I seems to me like there could possibly be a huge lot of psychological issues behind this incident that could render diapers useless ito a long term solution, or even counter productive...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Well, if I'm correct in understanding from your last post that he was removed from his parents, he would have a case-worker assigned to him. If they haven't already done so, I would suggest asking his case worker to refer you to a councillor/therapist. IMHO there is a strong possibility that his bowel issues have a psychological root, but I don't even want to try to guess any details.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I was curious about that too. You should have been briefed on all his medical conditions during the adoption process. Which makes me wonder if it's really a medical condition at all, or simply a temporary illness. Has this problem persisted?

sjacksun

Oct 12, 2013
he seems to be doing a bit better now. Mostly at nite time or when hes sleepy. Im still thinking it could be more psychological then illness. Got in contact with his case worker. She did say now and again he made a mess. But they couldn't find anything wrong with him. Just seems strange. Why he does make a mess. Do you think that. Now hes got a mommy figure. In his left againe. That hes wanting to be cared for. Yes the doctors did say that it also could be constipation

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Accidentally wetting when sleeping or falling asleep can persist into adulthood. But soiling one's self while sleeping is not the same thing, and not common. I'd be concerned. Does he realize when it happens? Does he know how to respond to it? Can he communicate his situation to you?

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
sjacksun said:
Do you think that. Now hes got a mommy figure. In his left againe. That hes wanting to be cared for.
That is possible. There can also be several dozen other explanations. I don't know nearly enough about his life before he came to you, to even start guessing... If I were in your shoes, I would really get him to a professional ASAP.