Advice for telling family you are moving out...

9D4

May 16, 2014
I need parental advice, just from the other end of the spectrum. So, I've only found one thread on this, and I'm in a bit of a different situation.

Basic info; 19 YOM, full time paramedic student, full time answering service position ($15/hourly- consistent 45 hours).

I've found an apartment that I like that I'm going down and signing for this next week.

I'm currently living with my sister, and there is a lot of tension on my end, since I get treated not like the younger sibling I am, but like a child. For example, no one allowed over when she is at work (she's on nights, I'm on days, so basically no one at all). When she is working, I am expected to check in with her when I get home and whenever I leave.

I also currently pay $500/ month to her for rent. I previously briefly spoke about getting a motorcycle, instead of my car, since insurance is $200/ cheaper a month. I was quickly told that it is "forbidden," unless I wanted to give her the $200/ month I save for extra rent money to her.

So, in the interest of actually remaining sane, I've decided my best option is to move out.

I've created my budget and have all of that ready to present, but I do realize she does all this because she does care about, which makes me think this won't go over all that fantastic. I bounced around a lot as a younger teen (16ish), between my sister, grandma, aunt, and parents, so in that time I've realized she probably does view me more like a child than her younger brother.