Allowing vacation time with dad???...

AGomez

May 26, 2015
I am trying to get unbiased opinions to help me make a decision. I have 2 children 2 and 4. Their father and I have been divorced for 8 months. I have the children then majority of the time. He gets them every other weekend and a dinner visit on Tuesdays. Since we have gone to court he has showed up for 1/3 of his Tuesday visits and on a few occasions he doesn't come on weekends. He is allowed to talk to the kids every day yet he never calls. The only contact they have is on his specified days (most of the time). Our children have never been away from me for more than 3 days at a time. The kids are very attached to me and have a hard time adjusting after one weekend with him. He now says he wants them for a 10 day vacation to go see his GF's family (people none of them have ever met). I am concerned for many reasons, mostly listed above. Am I being un-reasonable not to let him have the kids for the vacation?

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
Hi AGomez, welcome to the forum.

If you think that it will upset the children to be away for that long, mostly with people they don't know, then I'd make that a no. I don't think you're being unreasonable.

Old_Dad93

May 21, 2015
I think that is a long time to be away from the primary home for kids that age especially when the other parent has been unreliable. I agree with your decision as well.

aurays

PF Regular
Jan 20, 2015
I agree with the others. If he wants to have the kids for such a long period first he should create a better relation with them on a regular basis. Make sure the kids are comfortable staying on the weekends with him before leaving on a long trip together.