Almost 11 months and even more bottle feeding problems...

NiallNai

PF Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
By God, I thought at this point we had this feeding thing down pat. Now, he is suddenly drinking very little if any of his bedtime bottle. This has come completely out of the blue, just starting about three days ago. We've tried the different formulas without success.

So, tonight, he may have gotten a full ounce before bedtime.

Please, someone tell me this is freakin' normal.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Definitely normal. You'll notice as he grows, he will be eating more sporadically. Sometimes my 17 month old doesn't want to eat anything one day and he'll pig out the next. At 11 months, it's probably about time to start switching to solids and a sippy cup anyway. :)

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I would totally be taking advantage of that. Perhaps he's not drinking from the bottle because he's prepared to move beyond them. Even if that's not the reason, totally jump on this opportunity to wisk away any and all bottles in your home. If you remove them when he's not interested, you won't have a struggle removing them later.

Maybe he's not drinking a bedtime bottle because it's not necessary at that point in the game.

NiallNai

PF Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
Lissa said:
Definitely normal. You'll notice as he grows, he will be eating more sporadically. Sometimes my 17 month old doesn't want to eat anything one day and he'll pig out the next. At 11 months, it's probably about time to start switching to solids and a sippy cup anyway. :)
He's definitely been resistant to the sippy cup. He's fascinated by it but definitely not a fan of using it. He's been on solids since about 6 months. At this point, he gets three meals a day.

budnkota said:
I would totally be taking advantage of that. Perhaps he's not drinking from the bottle because he's prepared to move beyond them. Even if that's not the reason, totally jump on this opportunity to wisk away any and all bottles in your home. If you remove them when he's not interested, you won't have a struggle removing them later.

Maybe he's not drinking a bedtime bottle because it's not necessary at that point in the game.
I've considered this latter point but he definitely drinks most of his morning bottle. It's just the evening bottle that has become the issue.

I just wish I could tell what's going on in his mind.

Thank you for your support.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Did you try different kinds of sippy cups? I know they make some that are similar to a bottle. Some kids can be picky about the type.

NiallNai

PF Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2007
New Jersey
Lissa said:
Did you try different kinds of sippy cups? I know they make some that are similar to a bottle. Some kids can be picky about the type.

We've tried the Dr. Brown's sippy cup, which seem like you really have to work hard at it to get any fluid from it (I tried it myself), and the Avent sippy cup, which he seems to like a bit better.

Are there any brands you would recommend?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
We use the regular sippy cups because Oliver was never too picky. I wish I had some brands to recommend but I don't. :(

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lots of people like Nubys. I personally like sipsters
Also you can always put his formula in a sippy, you don't have to wean him off that yet

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Logan lost all interest in his formula at 11 months...I still tried to get as much in as possible but he just stopped taking it after a while

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
We didn't use sippies much - I didn't want to get into that habit, since it is so hard on a child's teeth. I started giving him handled cups of water when he was in his high chair and watching him. At first I held it for him and tipped it until he comprehended how this worked. Then I let him try himself. He took to that right away - but my kid's a little odd.
Another thing we used was straw cups. There's several types - I think ours were from evenflo. They were infinately valuable in our home! I preferred then for the opposite reason that I did not want to get into the sippy habit - that is was better for his teeth.