And the hits just keep on coming....

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
So, I lost my job today. Company restructured, and my position was eliminated.

Let's see....

<LIST>

• <LI>
  • I have a baby on the way, and just lost my job.</LI>
    <LI>
  • My daughter is facing repeating the second grade.</LI>
</LIST>

So far, not a great 2012.

If you pray, please say one for me and my family.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Damn, that sucks! How is the job market in your area - will you be able to find something else?

I'll thinking of you and sending good vibes your way...

Last edited:

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Will you get redundancy pay?

I'm sure you'll get a new job soon, try not to worry too much, you could even put your CV on here to get any tips if you want.

When you get a new job it might be an idea to look at wage protection insurance, basically you can policies that will pay your mortgage and rent for a certain amount of time e.g. 6 months if you are laid off for such reasons, it isn't pricey but it is worth every penny.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
That does suck! :(

Im sure you'll find something. You are in IT arent you? Seems like the demand for those jobs are pretty good.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
The job market in Cleveland overall sucks...though IT tends to break the trend. I've built a decent network over the years, so hopefully I won't be out of a job for more than a few weeks.

They gave me a severance package, but it's not great. Though, some is better than nothing. I'll check out that insurance, Jeremy, in the future. I've never heard of it before...sounds pretty cool.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Im sorry you lost your job. Hopefuly you'll find something soon. For now just enjoy it like a vacation...a working one of course :).

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh no that's terrible! :( I'm so sorry Dadu. That is just not okay. Surely after all of this, you have some better times coming your way!! Hang in there.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
oh man, that does really suck. I will be praying hard for you and your family. I really believe that things happen for a reason. Doesn't make them suck less in the short term, but I believe there's something good coming for you.

Stay positive, people like to hire happy people, not people who feel like victims, that scares employers.

I don't think we have layoff insurance in the US, but you could contact your lenders and creditors and see if you can get deferments for a while and maybe help stretch your severance package.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Bummer dude. Happened to me about 9 yrs ago. One of the best things that ever happened to me. Bad deal at the time but I am in a much better place since it happened.

Really hopes it works out like that for you.

Take advantage of the time you have at home. Its going to be shorter than you think.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Sorry to hear it Dadu
You will find something else just keep at it. Does it effect your health insurance? I went through it many years ago too when our company down sized, I lost our health insurance and it was a real expense to buy it outside.

But we survived and so will you. I guess you know to collect unemployment and at least you have that.

Good luck I will keep you in my prayers.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Thanks Nancy. Yeah, I lost my health insurance as well, but fortunately my wife's work will allow us to switch to hers. So, we'll be ok.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
AHHHHH!!! That stinks. IT is a good field to be in though. Hopefully this will be that start of something better for you and your family. Good news on the health insurance. Hopefully they don't give you any "pre existing condition" bull.

I haven't had a lot of time for the forum lately, so what did I miss about Delaney? I didn't realize she was having trouble in school.

If it's any comfort... my friend in IT was laid off for the second time in a year from the same place (first time they rehired him after restructure) and he emailed resumes around and got tons of calls. He went from a tiny newspaper in MI to the Washington Post, and at a huge increase in pay. He was willing to move, no kids, but it really was the best thing that could have happened to him.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
stjohnjulie said:
AHHHHH!!! That stinks. IT is a good field to be in though. Hopefully this will be that start of something better for you and your family. Good news on the health insurance. Hopefully they don't give you any "pre existing condition" bull.

I haven't had a lot of time for the forum lately, so what did I miss about Delaney? I didn't realize she was having trouble in school.

If it's any comfort... my friend in IT was laid off for the second time in a year from the same place (first time they rehired him after restructure) and he emailed resumes around and got tons of calls. He went from a tiny newspaper in MI to the Washington Post, and at a huge increase in pay. He was willing to move, no kids, but it really was the best thing that could have happened to him.
Yeah, Laney is having some issues...though we just got her report card and it was a bit better than the last one. Slow progress....

I have an interview this coming week and am in talks with another company as well. Hopefully this lay off will be short lived.

daddy america

Jan 31, 2012
Virginia
Hello,
One thing i can tell you is to take one day at a time. I know losing a job can put a damp on you and your family. Think about what's important. The baby hasn't arrived yet. So right now you could focus on career moves. Depending on your previous job look at maybe tapping into your 401 to get you by until something else comes along. As for your child. One thing i have learned is to be patient with them. Don't let them see that your stressed or upset because both of them can feel that which will cause them to have problems in other places, like school. I will pray for you and your family. But just know that things will work out as long as you have somethings in place.

I hope this helps a little.

DaddyDanny123

Jan 24, 2012
I am in a similar position but with 3 under 7's.
It sucks
Everything happens for a reason, make sure you enjoy your time with your children and remember as hard as it gets the are the reason you work.

Enjoy your time with them.

Buttaflly227

PF Regular
Jan 31, 2012
Forum Friend,
Know that things ALWAYS work themselves out. There is abundance out in the world. Just because the media tells everyone that the economy is bad etc doesn't mean there still isn't opportunity. For example, I am building my own online business and this way I can work at home. This is great because I can stay home with my kids when they're young. Try getting creative about earning income. Working for someone else isn't the only way. Think of what you LOVE to do, what are you GOOD at? Find a way to deliver VALUE to people and you can ALWAYS make money.
As for your daughter repeating second grade, it's not the end of the world. I worked in education and it's better she repeat then be shoved forward unprepared. Trust me on that. She's young and it won't effect her too badly in the long run. Maybe get more involved in the school and find out exactly why she's failing and help her out. I don't know all the details but maybe this is fate's way of having you be more involved?
I will pray for you but just know that EVERYTHING ALWAYS works out. :) -HUG- Everything happens for a reason.

Be well,
Be at Peace,
-Jessica

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
Dadu2004 said:
So, I lost my job today. Company restructured, and my position was eliminated.

Let's see....

<LIST>

• <LI>
  • I have a baby on the way, and just lost my job.</LI>
    <LI>
  • My daughter is facing repeating the second grade.</LI>
</LIST>

So far, not a great 2012.

If you pray, please say one for me and my family.
Wow, I'm really sorry. I said a prayer for your family.