ankles turning...

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
we recently noticed emmy's ankles are leaning in when she wore out a brand new pair of shoes pretty fast, wearing out inner sides of the heals and the big toe areas. when she runs she seems to ?flop? her feet. her feet seem to go up and out instead of up and straight back down. she's definitely not landing flat on her feet when she walks and runs. looks like she's trying walk on her ankles.
all we can figure is that she somehow started walking/running funny after she sprained her ankle this past march.
her feet and ankles have been fine up til now with no problems at all.

anyone else had any problems like this...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Jeremy+3 said:
Does she have knock knees?
She said she just noticed it. Knock-knees usually makes itself apparent shortly after a child starts walking. The likelihood of a 7 year old developing it suddenly is extremely doubtful.

In-Toeing in Children

Matter of fact, natural correction of most issues that cause knock-knees finishes up pretty much by age 8.

16th ave, this is recent, right? Thinking back, you've never noticed that her knees are touching each other but her feet are not? And her feet would turn inward a little when she was standing still? She would be kind of clumsy? That type of thing. If you always noticed her standing straight forward with toes pointing in the right direction, its probably not knock knees.

Tommy off of the Rugrats has knock-knees LOL.

Other than that though, I have no idea. This is DEFINITELY something that you should ask your doctor.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
thanks xero. the knees in that picture there are almost like how emmy's ankles look when she runs. her feet don't turn in though, they stay straight with the ankles trying to bend in. imagine you are trying to walk on the inside of your foot or ankle instead of heel to toe.
yeah, its recent and weird and really hard to describe. but not too bad yet, and definitely worth checking into.

for all we know it could be the different kind of shoe she was using--one that was a thinner sole and not as thick as those ole cheapies from walmart. and i wonder if maybe emmy was compensating in some weird way when she sprained her ankle and just continued it after getting into the habit so quickly.
i don't know and wondered if anyone else had ever seen something like this before.

i've seen knock knees before but didn't know what it was called. a woman i used to work with had a son who was having that problem.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Are her ankles even?

One of my nephews ankles arent, the inner bone is lower down than thw outer bone an it causes him to walk like that.

If she starts getting pains in her calfs and knees then take her to a podiatrist, she may need specially designed insoles to train her feet to grow properly.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
sorry for taking so long to get back to this.

it looks like her ankles are even. it also looks like she's got flat feet. a possible arch in the left, but no arch in the right. she'll be seeing the doctor right after the first for a check up (go when chloe goes for the tonsil referral stuff.) dh is going and we're gonna get it all done at once. and let the dr. explain to dh the results of the sleep test and all...