Another cyberbullying/extortion case...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
The headline on this is a bit misleading. Cyberbullying, yes. However, I don't understand why teens don't block pervs from the get-go and don't bring it to their parents attention ASAP. Are they that concerned about losing their phones? Do they really have that much of a warped view on reality and virtual life that they think anyone on the other end of social media has power over them? Have parents just not taught their kids to say NO? I am baffled. I don't know what to think. I don't call this torture per se, as she had the freedoms there. She was just being naïve enough to obey. Why? These pervs contact many kids daily and many of those kids don't comply and report or just block the pervs. I just don't know. I think there is some missing info in this story. But I think that this is another example as to why some kids are just not ready to handle social media and I don't think there is a standard age that is ready. Parents need to be vigil and communicate with their kids frequently about their online activities and parents should be onboard with their kids and create their own social media accounts and have their kids as part of their contacts. Parents should also help their kids with privacy settings and check on it often.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/5-days-of-torture-leave-manitoba-teen-struggling-to-heal-after-relentless-cyberbullying-1.3329234[/URL]

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
While the pervs have done nothing to them yet, parents can easily make their life miserable. Very sad, but true.
Parents have to keep tabs and be aware, yet should not act more threatening than somebody with truly vile intentions.