Anti Co-Sleeping Ad Campaign...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'm a little surprised that the forum hasn't been a-buzz about this yet.

Saw on "Today" this morning, the city of Milwakee's anti-co-sleeping campaign.

http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/healthAuthors/MCH/Images/infantmortality/baby-knifead1large.jpg?Original[/URL]

and http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/healthAuthors/MCH/Images/infantmortality/baby-knifead2large.jpg?Original[/URL]

personally, I think it's misguided, why come out against co-cleeping when they could prmote safer co-sleeping. Telling parents they are irresponsible if they co-sleep is going too far. IMHO

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah, I saw it. I think it's a bunch of crap, and I don't take it seriously at all. I mainly practice safe co-sleeping myself (arm's reach co-sleeper) but I see nothing wrong with bedsharing when done right. If you know yourself, you are aware while sleeping, not under the influence of drugs or alcohol (which is usually the case in bedsharing accidents) and you don't smoke cigarettes or are very overweight etc then it's fine. What gets me is this "The second-leading cause of infant mortality in Milwaukee is SIDS, or sudden infant death syndrome, which often results from ”unsafe sleep,” according to the health department’s website. A form of “unsafe sleep” is bed-sharing with parents." So basically they are making a campaign against ONE FORM of ONE CAUSE (the second one, at that) of SIDS. I mean, really??? Seriously come on, if you're going to campaign against SIDS, go for all of it. Go against the bed sharers, the people who put their babies in a separate room, the people that use blankets and bumpers and tummy sleep etc. Seriously get real people.

Another thing that's laughable is that they mention that the infant mortality rate is much lower in some number of other countries - well, here's the funny part!! Most of those other countries with the lower infant mortality rates, have HIGHER bedsharing rates - MUCH HIGHER. Some of the places with the lowest infant mortality rates in the world also have the highest co-sleeping/bedsharing rates. I mean this article/campaign just has stupidity written all over it.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Yeah Xero, that's pretty much what I thought about it....and the taxpayers paid for it. In their defense they have made a program available to make cribs available to people who can't afford them, so they are doing some good, but this campaign just seemed very mis-guided.

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
Yet another example of government intrusion into our personal lives. It amazes me that in this time of huge deficits and rampant spending the government agencies, at all levels, are not looking to do less rather than more.

XxAkikazexX

Apr 10, 2013
Chicago
Everyone has said what I wanted to say, but I saw some of those types of ads when I was in Kalamazoo (not as bold, but talking down cosleeping). These are gross and grossly out of order!

pancras

Banned
Jan 15, 2013
CT
IADad said:
I'm a little surprised that the forum hasn't been a-buzz about this yet.

Saw on "Today" this morning, the city of Milwakee's anti-co-sleeping campaign.

http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/healthAuthors/MCH/Images/infantmortality/baby-knifead1large.jpg?Original[/URL]

and http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/healthAuthors/MCH/Images/infantmortality/baby-knifead2large.jpg?Original[/URL]

personally, I think it's misguided, why come out against co-cleeping when they could prmote safer co-sleeping. Telling parents they are irresponsible if they co-sleep is going too far. IMHO
If Milwaukee tried to promote safer co-sleeping, then that would get even more buzz because Milwaukee would be contradicting the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) guidelines.

I personally think a public debate between the AAP and Milwaukee (a city with a drinking problem) on co-sleeping would be bad PR for co-sleeping and good PR for the AAP.

Last edited:

pancras

Banned
Jan 15, 2013
CT
If Milwaukee advocated safer co-sleeping, this would also contradict the National Institute of Health (NIH) "Safe to Sleep" campaign. That would generate some serious buzz, also.

NIH's "Back to Sleep" campaign coincided with 50% decrease in SIDs death, so NIH is feelin' flush.

Last edited:

pancras

Banned
Jan 15, 2013
CT
But, in your favor IADad, the AAP guidelines do provide guidance on safer co-sleeping while also recommending against it and advocating room-sharing as an alternative.