Any Formula makes my baby gassy...

ravemama

Mar 11, 2015
I think my 6 month old baby doesn't tolerate formula well, no matter what kind, they All seem to give him a lot of gas. I breastfeed, but not exclusively, I do supplement formula because this little boy has one Hell of an appetite and makes it nearly impossible to pump! So when I go out with hubby and have my mom babysit, she often ends up giving him 6 to 8 ounces of formula at a go. When he drinks that much formula, he often gets so much gas that he wakes up screaming. We even tried organic 'Sensitive' formula to lessen gas & fussiness and it did nothing. Any ideas?

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
When I was trying to ween my daughter from breast to bottle I found that many formulas were irritating her stomach. I found Good Start formula was the easiest on her stomach. It did cost more than the rest but I would rather have her healthy and comfortable than with stomach aches a few more dollars saved in the account. I just used generic diapers (which I found just as good as Pampers or Huggies) to off-set expenses.
And if anyone questions why I decided to ween her, it was for medical purposes. End that debate before it starts.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Artmom, we're not big on the feeding debate here, so don't worry too much about that.

Ravemama, formula is much heavier than breastmilk, so it could be the quantity that is causing him issues rather than the formula itself, the amount could be causing him to bloat.
Formula is one heavy substance, whereas breastmilk contains two types, foremilk and hindmilk, foremilk is very thin and hindmilk heavier, so it's a mixture, making it much thinner.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Switch to a smaller nipple? So he can't chug? At six months it's okay to start some solids. Maybe send him to Grandma's with a banana to supplement the pumped breastmilk?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Do they still sell rusks? It takes them ages to get through those things, keeps them quiet for a while, haha.

ravemama

Mar 11, 2015
artmom said:
When I was trying to ween my daughter from breast to bottle I found that many formulas were irritating her stomach. I found Good Start formula was the easiest on her stomach. It did cost more than the rest but I would rather have her healthy and comfortable than with stomach aches a few more dollars saved in the account. I just used generic diapers (which I found just as good as Pampers or Huggies) to off-set expenses.
And if anyone questions why I decided to ween her, it was for medical purposes. End that debate before it starts.
Thanks for your response! :) I'll have to check out that formula sometime and see how he likes it.

@cybele:

Thanks, too for your response. :) I knew that formula was heavier than breastmilk, but it's hard for me to pump extra for him because he has such an appetite and keeps me pretty well drained, lol. :p If he doesn't get the amount he wants, chances are, he'll keep fussing, though. I've been trying to spread out the amount of formula we make for him more, and it seems to help.

@akmom:

Thanks for your response. :) I had to switch him to larger nipples because he's been collapsing all the smaller ones. And yes, I've got him started on solids, already eating around 2 tablespoons a day! I just recently increased the amount of solids he eats and that has kept his hunger more at bay, so he doesn't consume as much formula now.

Thanks for your help!! :)

rabiii

Dec 23, 2015
My kiddo still drinks too much of milk, and you got to stop them somehow, because kids don't know when to stop. The only way is to distract them, and move around by taking them into your arms, and prevent them from drinking too much, otherwise it can be troublesome.

jennywest224

Dec 17, 2015
My baby was extremely gassy and I was getting crazy by seeing him uncomfortable unless I started babies magic tea and till the day he is not having tummy gas.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
rabiii said:
My kiddo still drinks too much of milk, and you got to stop them somehow, because kids don't know when to stop. The only way is to distract them, and move around by taking them into your arms, and prevent them from drinking too much, otherwise it can be troublesome.
I think some people get confused about how long a baby should be feeding by bottle compared to breast.
I was told (rather harshly commanded) to breastfeed every 2 hours and the feeding HAS to last 45 minutes. That, to me, seems extreme.
And for bottle feeding, it should be every 4 hours for 20 minutes.
Mind you, this was about 14 years ago, so those guidelines could have changed since then. But I think that a baby should be fed when they are hungry.
Sometimes, babies just want to suck on something for comfort. That's what soothers are good for. If the baby is hungry they will spit it out and fuss for the real thing.

emma watson

Dec 8, 2016
Why don't you try some di-gas before or after feeding him? it could work for him. I use to give my DS toddler magic tea for his tummy ache, although he is okay with formula but whenever he gets colicky it soothes him,

Jessicak

May 24, 2021
I think my 6 month old baby doesn't tolerate formula well, no matter what kind, they All seem to give him a lot of gas. I breastfeed, but not exclusively, I do supplement formula because this little boy has one Hell of an appetite and makes it nearly impossible to pump! So when I go out with hubby and have my mom babysit, she often ends up giving him 6 to 8 ounces of formula at a go. When he drinks that much formula, he often gets so much gas that he wakes up screaming. We even tried organic 'Sensitive' formula to lessen gas & fussiness and it did nothing. Any ideas?
I have been at the same spot as you and trust me this is so bad seeing no formula able to soothe the baby. However, I started giving my baby Enfamil Sensitive. It worked out for me. let me drop a link for you: https://www.amazon.com/Enfamil-Neur...words=enfamil+sensitive&qid=1611150968&sr=8-2