Any male heard of this?...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Have any of our guys had a UTI that went into your kidneys? We think my husband has this problem and the urethra and kidneys fused together(fistula). I was wondering if this may be the reason for last years miscarriages. Anyone know anything about male "stuff"? I know this is soooooooo personal. Just curious. Ari, maybe you'd know?

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I'm not male, but while the UTI - Kidney infection can happen, I don't think that'd have anything to do with miscarriages. The sperm were obviously able to get to the right place and do their job appropriately if a pregnancy was established...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Even if the sperm count was low, couldn't the sperm not be any good? IS there such a thing?

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Here's a decent WebMD article that discusses the different things they look for in a semen analysis and why, along with a quote: link
More detailed info on this stuff is on page two of the linked article.
...<LIST>

• <LI>
  • Volume. This is a measure of how much semen is present in one ejaculation.</LI>
    <LI>
  • Liquefaction time. Semen is a thick gel at the time of ejaculation and normally becomes liquid within 20 minutes after ejaculation. Liquefaction time is a measure of the time it takes for the semen to liquefy.</LI>
    <LI>
  • Sperm count. This is a count of the number of sperm present per milliliter (mL) of semen in one ejaculation.</LI>
    <LI>
  • Sperm morphology. This is a measure of the percentage of sperm that have a normal shape.</LI>
    <LI>
  • Sperm motility. This is a measure of the percentage of sperm that can move forward normally. The number of sperm that show normal forward movement in a certain amount of semen can also be measured (motile density).</LI>
    <LI>
  • pH. This is a measure of the acidity (low pH) or alkalinity (high pH) of the semen.</LI>
    <LI>
  • White blood cell count. White blood cells are not normally present in semen. </LI>
    <LI>
  • Fructose level. This is a measure of the amount of a sugar called fructose in the semen. The fructose provides energy for the sperm....</LI>
</LIST>

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I'm in agreement with budnkota...if the sperm is able to do the triathalon to the egg, then there shouldn't be an issue. Good luck!!!