Anyone have an "addict" in their family?...

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
No sorry, my brother was addicted that crap but I didn't see him until it had taken ahold of him and even then I only saw him every 7-9 months or so.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
MM - In my experience ... crack is a step past cocaine .. and thats through past experience .. (I dont use any drugs anymore) ..but the best detection is education .... heres a few links for you.
Crack
http://chosenfast.com/2007/06/12/the-7-stages-of-crack-cocaine-use/http://www.howtodothings.com/health-and-fitness/a4687-how-to-recognize-cocaine-addiction.html[/url]

Shitty thing about addiction is that people cant be helped until they are ready... crack and meth are hard ones to let go of once they have a hold on you ... but it IS possible .. as long as the person wants to.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I think a family member might be doing something along these lines. I just don't know what to look for. Thanks hwnorth, I'll check that out. I really appreciate it. Life or death matter.

rachelleld05

May 27, 2008
It's really hard to recognize the signs. My mom is a meth addict and I didn't <I>really </I>know until she was way under. I guess the most obvious sign was the physical deterioration and the people she was around. She also used to be a big alcoholic and then she all of a sudden had no interest in alcohol. I guess it totally depends on how long they have been using. The beginning signs are so hard. My sister was also a meth addict for a long time. Her signs were a bit more obvious. She had scabs all over her body from "picking". She would just sit there and pick at her arms and legs until they bled. She was also extremely moody. Almost bi-polar like. I can honestly say that the way I knew they were using before the physical signs was looking at who they were around. It's very rare for meth users to hang out with people on the "outside" so chances are, if a friend is a user they're a user. Meth sucks. If you suspect they might be doing it, push for help. I wish there was something I could have done but it's too late for my mom. She's way too far into it. She is 41 and looks like she's about to turn 80. She hardly has any teeth left and survives off of soup and pepsi. She's never going to stop and I have to accept the fact that meth is going to kill her. I hope and pray that nothing like this happens to your family. Good luck.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I've done the both. Crack, not as much as cocaine. With Coke, a major sign is a lot of sniffling. Obvious reasons. They really don't pick as much as someone on crack or meth. Look for them to constantly clear their throats, lick their gums, move their mouths a lot, become extremely talkative and very easily amused.

Crack, I guess really the main sign is picking. Not just at themselves, but also at the carpet, furniture, stuff like that.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Amber .... OMG you just reminded me ... getting the dry mouth pasties ... my palette would be sore from trying to suck saliva into my mouth after a night of coke ...
crack ...such a nasty one ... Im one of the lucky few that dont have an addictive personality ... so it never took hold of me

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
You just made coke sound great! woo hoo.

I think the person might be into meth to be honest or shooting coke. Major mood swings, missing work. Really nice to me or very hateful, no money, avoidance, no eye contact. Eats and drinks lots of sugar. Shakes like something neurologically wrong. Lies, makes excuses.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
That doesn't sound good at all MM. I've always heard that sugar cravings come from heroin addiction. Just what I've heard so it may not be accurate.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
hwnorth said:
Amber .... OMG you just reminded me ... getting the dry mouth pasties ... my palette would be sore from trying to suck saliva into my mouth after a night of coke

I always kept a glass of orange juice with me the entire night and the whole day aftewards as I was coming down.

I've never tried heroin, so I'm not sure about the sugar cravings. I never craved sugary stuff when I was snorting coke or smoking crack. I did, however, chew a crapful of gum.