Anyone with IUD?...

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
I have a question for anyone else out there with an IUD, have you had any problems with yours after having it placed? I had mine placed back in Sept. '07 and everything seemed to be going ok, periods were regular. In the last month or so I have seriously had a period every other week almost, and they last anywhere from a few days to a week. I am waiting for our insurance to become effective here in another week or so otherwise I would have been at the doctor already. I was just curious if anyone else had had any problems with their IUD?

sadinplaid

PF Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2007
Georgia
I am scheduled to get one next week, but you are the second person I've heard of having problems with it. A friend of mine had something go wrong with hers that caused an infection. She had no idea what was wrong with her at first, she just had a very high fever and felt generally unwell, but she tells me her periods have almost stopped.

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
I got it thinking that it would be the best thing ever, now my periods are totally irregular, my lower abdomen is always tender, although I do get less migraines because of the low dose of hormones. I am not trying to scare anyone away from it, but i guess it is just not the best option for me. They had told me that around a year your period stops completely, i cannot wait for that to happen. Good luck with yours and your daughter is beautiful!

softmommy80

Apr 19, 2008
I have had an IUD for the last 3 years and have had absolutely NO problem with them. I had a month or so where I was a little irritated by bladder infections, but other than that it has been one less worry.
I would wait until you have medical insurance and go to get an ultrasound so that they can tell that it is exactly in place without infections.
Make sure to check after ever period that the IUD is still in place as well. Something that I doctor forgot to tell me!

sadinplaid

PF Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2007
Georgia
Thanks Button :)

I'm still going to give the IUD a try because I'm horrible at remember pills, and the thought of something that lasts 5 years is just so appealing - I've had nightmares about getting pregnant again ever since my DD was born. I don't want to take any chances...

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
ok latest update; I have been reading alot of other forums regarding the IUD mainly the Mirena and all have had nothing but bad things to day about it. I also have figured out that this is probably the cause of 99% of my problems. Most of the entries I read all listed the same things as me: tender abdomen/breasts, irregular periods, weight gain,zero sex drive, vaginal infections and dryness, acne and and the worst one of all the uncontrollable moods that cannot be affected with medicines. For the last 4 months I have been between anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs with no luck. One woman even mentioned that she gets mad at her family for being alive-that is me in a nutshell! :arghh: Once they had the IUD removed almost everyone went back to normal within 2-4 weeks. I am going to be calling my OBGYN and get this thing out as soon as possible! As far as other methods of birth control I have no idea what to use next. Any suggestions?

sadinplaid

PF Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2007
Georgia
I haven't gotten mine in yet... Now I'm nervous. I'm already trying to deal with losing pregnancy weight, acne I got from pregnancy hormones, depression, anxiety, and mood swings... I don't want to have something inserted into my body that can make all of these things worse! Eek! Maybe I will just go back to the pill. Are there IUD's you can get other than Mirena?

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
There is the copper IUD but if I remember right it had more serious complications like endometriosis and other horrible things like that. If I were you I would go back to the pill or something like the patch because the IUD will only make things worse. If you ask your doctor about the side effects I mentioned they will tell you that they are not because of the IUD, but bullsh*t! If you want to read the forums I was on click here:

Anyone have trouble with IUD - Women's Health Support Forums

I found it to be very informative. Good luck if you do choose to go with the IUD, maybe it will be better for you!

stepmommy0221

PF Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007
montreal, quebec
IUD firmly in place after almost 2 years...big boobs, hippy (curvaceous LOL), so-so fluctuation in my libido (down to 2 times a week) dryness sometimes, but I know that an IUD isn't ideal but for now, I have tried other birth control and those were super harsh on my system...it won't be forever, we're planning on removing it this fall :p

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
I have an appt. set for the 14th to talk about it with the doctor and probably have it removed. I am so anxious now to get it out and get back to a normal lifestyle without all the crazy hormones and mood swings~ that being said-what else does everyone use, and what do you think is the best one?

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
I just got back from the doctor and I had my IUD removed today because of all the horrible side effects that were happening. I am now on the pill again for BC and we will see what happens. She started me on Yaz and we will see if that causes my migraines to get worse or not-then last night out of the blue my husband says to me "Maybe we should just go ahead and have a 2nd baby!" Is he crazy???? We are still getting used to the first one-besides he is an only child and only really wanted one in the first place-now he wants 2? I think he is going through a tiny baby withdrawl and wants her to be itty bitty again. Someday we will have another one but not now!!!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
All you have to do is send his butt to my house and I could cure him for a few years. No lie. My children have me so aggrevated right now. I have NEVER been this aggrevated with them. If gas were cheaper I might run away.
Congrats on the IUD taken out thingy. :)

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
What time is dinner and I will send him your way? Just kidding, I really want another one, I always thought that he didn't so I had become ok with the idea of only 1 child, then he throws this at me-like I said I think he is just needing a tiny baby fix-but he will be over to your house shortly for a reality check.:biglaugh:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
You think that and then God will give you twins woman. Be careful what you wish for! Everytime I think I want another one, mine do this! ACK.
Two xanax and a drink might do the trick tonight. Oh great, now my dogs are barking........sure why not?

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
Twins are a scary thing to think about! I give you all the kudos in the world for making it through each day and not killing something or someone-there are days I can hardly handle 1, let alone twins. I think another baby for us will be in the very distant future-a looooooong time from now!!!!!! If you need some extra hugs to make it through the day here ya go~:cute:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
One plus a set of twins! It's more like triplets. Today I am trying to "make it". lol

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
button611 said:
ok latest update; I have been reading alot of other forums regarding the IUD mainly the Mirena and all have had nothing but bad things to day about it. I also have figured out that this is probably the cause of 99% of my problems. Most of the entries I read all listed the same things as me: tender abdomen/breasts, irregular periods, weight gain,zero sex drive, vaginal infections and dryness, acne and and the worst one of all the uncontrollable moods that cannot be affected with medicines. For the last 4 months I have been between anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs with no luck. One woman even mentioned that she gets mad at her family for being alive-that is me in a nutshell! :arghh: Once they had the IUD removed almost everyone went back to normal within 2-4 weeks. I am going to be calling my OBGYN and get this thing out as soon as possible! As far as other methods of birth control I have no idea what to use next. Any suggestions?
I think it's called "Depo provera" or something like that... It's a shot you get in your hip 3 times a year (every 4 mths) 99% or higher chance of preventing pregnancy :) That I have tried with no bad side effects at all..

Never tried that patch thing though that I believe is similar.

MN Mom

Jun 27, 2008
MN
Hello - I am new to these forums but just wanted to say that I have had my IUD for a year and have had no issues. I don't have Mirena (it has low doses of hormones). I have copper which has no hormones. This is my only choice (besides condoms) because of medical reasons. Copper is safe and has been for a while. I know a few people that use it and have not had issues. My rec is to talk to your doctor and use what you feel the most comfortable with and works with you and your lifestyle.

Good luck!

hayky3126

Sep 22, 2008
Murray, Utah
I had the IUD for two years. I got it once my little girl was born during the post partum depression stage. I honestly can say i never had any bad experiences with it other than weight gain. My periods completely stopped, and i was rarely ever tired. I put on 25-30 lbs in two years. That was when i decided i no longer could have something that was controlling my body!! So i called the ob and they wanted 250 to take it out cuz i dont have insurance. So i got the tweezers last week and pulled it out myself. It seemed completely harmless and once you can actually grasp it, it was way easy... It prob isnt the best way to have that done but it was for me!! Since taking it out last week i have lost 8 lbs. Much happier too!!