Anyone?...

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Does anyone here know anything about Depo-Provera? Amber is thinking about taking it and she's doing research on it but I know absolutely nothing. I'm going to research it more but just wondered if anyone had any first hand experiance with it.

We just really dont want another kid.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
My ex wife was on it for years. The thing she loved about it is that she only had to get it once like every 3 months or so, and it completely stopped her period. Worked well for her.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I personally haven't used it but I have friends who did and most were very happy with it. I prefer non-hormonal BC because I don't react well to the others but if she's done a hormonal BC before and doesn't have a bad reaction to it this could be a good option for her.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I HATED it, I tried it for a year, had two "visitors" a month and at one point had to take progesterone for two months and nothing regulated it. The doc's kept telling me to give it time..I think a year was enough and quit. But then I have had friends who have used it with minimal problems.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
mom2many said:
I HATED it, I tried it for a year, had two "visitors" a month and at one point had to take progesterone for two months and nothing regulated it. The doc's kept telling me to give it time..I think a year was enough and quit. But then I have had friends who have used it with minimal problems.
I'm not sure that I would be taking BC advice from Mom2Many. ;)

Just kidding M2M. :D

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Dadu2004 said:
I'm not sure that I would be taking BC advice from Mom2Many. ;)

Just kidding M2M. :D
lol :p

The things about BC is that it works differently for everyone...that's why there's so many different types. What one loves another hates and we all experience different side effects

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I was on it for about 3 years the last time. My system tolerates it wonderfully and it's my bc of choice.

I have also heard horror stories, I think it really depends on the individual woman.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
It's definitely an individual thing, but I just in general don't trust hormonal BC. There's nothing good about messing with your bodies natural flow of things with harsh hormones. Honestly the things I have always heard of happening are weight gain (that's the most common) and loss of labido, often period regularity issues, mood swings, and other annoying stuff. My body doesn't tolerate hormonal BC at all, and I am miserable on the stuff. I had the implant in my arm and I finally just got that out, and I feel a million times better. It was so terrible. My cousin was on the shot and gained a ton of weight. I did too of course. I got severe headaches from the thing I had in. Hormones just mess with your body, its not natural, and there are bound to be some side effects even if they are minimal. I might get back on the pill in a few months here once I recover, but I would never again go with anything extreme like the shot or an implant. EVER! :p haha baaaaad experience.

She doesn't want to take the pill or anything? What about a tubal ligation (I bet I screwed that up pretty good lol idk you know what I mean) if you guys definitely don't want any more kids? That would be much easier and it would involve recovery and everything, but once that's over it wont affect her body in a negative way to my knowelege and you certainly don't have to remember to do anything daily or before having sex. ;)

But I mean, either way, just google it "Depro Vera side effects" and stuff like that and make sure you read into it really really good before letting her get on the stuff. She may very well be one of the lucky people who have no problems with it, and if that were the case then hey why not.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I dont really want her having major surgery...or any type of surgery for that matter, she had a bad reaction to anesthesia and it tends to scare her.
Besides, we really dont have the time right now. I think i'm going to get a vasectomy, just really not looking forward to it. WE just wanted to look into other possibilities before we made the final decision.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That makes sense. Well I hope you guys find something that's right for you. :)

Fallon - That's really interesting! I've never heard of that. I read it, and it sounds really cool. Pretty neat.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
I had it done last January and it wasnt too bad. They tell you you'll feel a slight tug, though they dont tell you that you will feel it behind your eyeball.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
They tell you you'll feel a slight tug, though they dont tell you that you will feel it behind your eyeball.
Thanks, definatly going to have to think about it a lot harder now. lol

Fallon - Thanks for the information, it does sound pretty effective. We'll have to look more into it.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Fallon - Thanks for the information, it does sound pretty effective. We'll have to look more into it.
no problem, I've been looking into myself for future use and thought it may fit your situation as well. After the baby is born we're going with a non-hormonal IUD (it uses copper) and that will last ten yrs so if we decided we're sure we're done I think I may go with something like that

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
My wife was on the injection, it was the first hormonal contraception she had used and didn't suit her, also resulted in Jake, but then no contraception is fool proof. No permanent contraception for us, but we aren't finished yet and don't want to mess with our bodies, both my brothers have had the snip and both have had to have more operations to relieve scar tissue, I don't want anything dodgy going on down there!

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
good for you fo6. don't blame either one of ya'll for not wanting to take those kind of risks since you have an idea of how your wife would react to an anesthesia.
the few fellers we know that have had the snip snip done have (according to dh, they shouldn't be tellin' a lady this kind of stuff. lol) is that there is pain and lots of it along with swelling and so one, the basic side effects for such a procedure.
if i may speak frankly--you'd be out of it for a while there. :eek:

anyways, back to topic--wish i knew anything 'bout this stuff. but i don't. the one time i did try hormonal bc, it made me incredibly nausues --dang it! sick to my stomach all the time and didn't do it's job (the kiddos aint the result of that one. lol).. so uh uh. i didn't care for it. prevention is great but if it's going to add to the problems ya got then why bother? that aint to say what doesn't work for one won't work for another.

now if i understand this correctly that particular product you asked about is a hormonal bc right? has your wify ever used the hormonal bcs before? how well did her system respond to them? (no real need for an answer on those).
i'm thinkin' if the answers are yes, then it shouldn't be any worse than the other hormonal bcs that are on the market as long as you both are aware of all the risks and side affects that come with such things.
but if not, and ya'll aint too certain about her system's reaction to this kind of stuff and it's not going to bother you any to get the snip snip then ya'll might be better off with you taking the high road on this one.

?good luck? and i hope ya'll figure out the best with as little ?hardship? as possible.