Are you paying for your kids College?...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
No, only items of luxury have VAT, mainly new cars and designer clothes.
hmmm, and musical instruments apparently....anytime I've looked at buying from Britain, they always differentiate that off shore purchasers are not suject to VAT, so I thought it was on everything. Thanks for the clarification.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
You think a degree equals a job? The more people who have degree's the more an employer can pick and choose, there aren't infinite jobs either. Plus everyone in the UK with children are on government assistance, it doesn't matter how much you earn.
so take note americans...when you hear politicians talking about getting MORE kids to go to college, that ain't the answer...we need to get the RIGHT kids into college....believe me, I talk to students everyday and tthink to myself, "OMFG, how can you possibly be in college, I wouldn't have let you graduate from Jr High..."

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
IADad said:
hmmm, and musical instruments apparently....anytime I've looked at buying from Britain, they always differentiate that off shore purchasers are not suject to VAT, so I thought it was on everything. Thanks for the clarification.
A lot of our imports are through Jersey too, which means no tax, it's a rubbish we can't be bothered to enforce this tax.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
You think a degree equals a job? The more people who have degree's the more an employer can pick and choose, there aren't infinite jobs either. Plus everyone in the UK with children are on government assistance, it doesn't matter how much you earn.
I guess if the government was going to pay for my education and for me to sit on my ass, I would have no real incentive to find a job either.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
ElliottCarasDad said:
I guess if the government was going to pay for my education and for me to sit on my ass, I would have no real incentive to find a job either.
Oh yes, of course in countries where state schools exist no one ever has a job :rolleyes:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
ElliottCarasDad said:
wait, now what? you want a government job?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Jeremy, you guys have college paid for AND you get money from the government just for having kids whether you need it or not. You guys have it easy compared to us. You really do.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
but they have to wear those heavy red wool coats and those big black bushy hats...now that would be a real pain...

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Xero said:
Jeremy, you guys have college paid for AND you get money from the government just for having kids whether you need it or not. You guys have it easy compared to us. You really do.
You have to remember though, the cost of living is a lot higher here, we can't even generate our own power, we have to buy it from other countries, the majority of our food is imported, we pay higher taxes, housing is more expensive. It pretty much levels out, the only actual benefit we get is statutory holiday leave. I'm not trying to fob you off, I have family in Florida so I know it isn't greener on our side.

You can't forget $8.50 a gallon either....

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
I don't know what fuzzy hats you mean, there are quite a few...
It was a joke about the Buckingham Palace Guards...you know ,kind of the image we have of England...

oh, well, you know what they say about if you have to explain a joke....

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
IADad said:
It was a joke about the Buckingham Palace Guards...you know ,kind of the image we have of England...

oh, well, you know what they say about if you have to explain a joke....
If you go to Greece guards have big black pompoms on their shoes!

Jordy

PF Fanatic
Apr 12, 2010
Perth, WA
our University isn't free but we do get government assistance for every baby whether it is needed or not.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Jeremy+3 said:
You have to remember though, the cost of living is a lot higher here, we can't even generate our own power, we have to buy it from other countries, the majority of our food is imported, we pay higher taxes, housing is more expensive. It pretty much levels out, the only actual benefit we get is statutory holiday leave. I'm not trying to fob you off, I have family in Florida so I know it isn't greener on our side.

You can't forget $8.50 a gallon either....

Yikes!!! That's expensive. :eek: Yeah, I mean I wont deny that things probably even out in some way or another. I wont pretend to know what I'm talking about, its not like I've ever been there let alone lived there. :)

grace42

PF Regular
May 24, 2010
My parents did not pay for my college. I paid for it myself by working and taking student loans, and then for graduate school with scholarships/university grants/ etc. It took me longer to get through and now I feel behind in being able to save for retirement and so on. My peers who had college paid for by their parents are definitely ahead of me in economic things like home ownership. With that said, I appreciate that my parents didn't pay for my college because I took it very seriously and appreciated it a lot when I was there.

I have two small children now and will probably not be able to pay for their college. I would like to pay for their college though because it means they would then have a degree and could get a better job and not struggle in life. If I were paying their tuition I would certainly expect good performance.

As a side note, I am a university professor and my students who try to hold jobs (usually 30+ hours a week) and attend college full time are quite often unable to work to their potential. More and more students are working now though. It's usually a good percentage of a class.

Mom2MLB

May 28, 2010
Yes, we will be...for undergraduate studies, atleast. We have planned well and are fortunate enough to do that for them. Any graduate level work will likely be on their own tab.

DH and I both paid for our own educations (we're still technically paying for mine :p), and though it never was an enormous negative financial impact, it was certainly a pain in the butt...especially early on, the first year or two post graduation. If we can save our children from that (assuming they're appreciative and work hard), we're happy to.

Katyy123

Jun 13, 2010
I believe it depends on the student. If he or she is responsible, takes the studies seriously, makes the most of the opportunities, I won't mind paying for the college education within my means. However, if they are uncertain, fooling around, partying more than studying, then no, I won't pay.