At my Wits End!...

MaryA

Aug 17, 2016
My husband and I have been together for the last 3 years. His daughter, who is 8, has been having issues with listening to what any adult has to say. We will call my step-daughter "Lucy" for privacy purposes.

A little background...

Lucy's mom has not had a stable place to live since my husband and I first got together. She has been bouncing around from place to place with Lucy and her now 1 year old brother. Lucy has been living with my husband and I since June when school let out for the summer. Lucy's mom is still currently bouncing place to place. We just got granted emergency custody, we have court on the 24th of this month.

Lucy is quite the kid! I love her like she is my own, but I am currently at my wits end with her. I work nights, my husband works days. During the day when I am home with her, she is mouthy towards me and disobey's everything I have to say to her. I have talked to my husband about this and he has spoken to her about it. Things will go well for a day or two, and then it is back to the normal back talking and disobeying. Not to mention the lies...

Today, she was to write 100 times "I will listen to Mary and not lie." This was from her father, not from me. She has been sitting at the kitchen table since 9 AM and is still not done. It is now 1:48 PM. She keeps playing around, putting the pencil in her mouth, staring off into space, worrying about what everyone else is doing.. in short, she is avoiding it.

I am at my complete last nerve with this child. I need help. I need to know effective ways on how to have Lucy listen to me better and do what I ask her to do. We have tried multiple things and nothing seems to be working with her. :arghh:

Vdad

PF Enthusiast
May 28, 2016
Yes, family therapy ASAP.

Look at it from Lucy's perspective, being bounced around and all that inconsistency and lack of stability. It's no surprise she'd not only not lsiten, but be rebellious. Actually, she sounds like she;s doing fairly well, all things coinsidered.

While you're waiting for the therpay, ditch the corny punishments like writing stuff a hundred times. She doesn't understand what she;s doing, she;s just reacting to the feelings she has, and the punishment only muddies that with another resentment.

The first step here, one that the child psychologist might very well employ, is to simply observe to her what you're seeing, "You seem angry, Lucy", etc. And invite her to talk about it. If she declines (which she probably initially will), you can then let her know how her behavior makes you feel ("That's really unpleasant"), and let her know you;d like her to stop, but don't get into a power struggle with her to do so.